We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

Hello,

I would like to visit Cyprus on my way to istanbul, and it seems that the best way for me to get there is to land at Larnaca Airport (on the South Side)...

However, since I will be going to Istanbul after that, I would definitely like to fly directly from Lefksosa to Istanbul...

In my mind, there shouldn't be a problem since I can freely enter Northern Cyprus, so I should just as easily leave through the airport immigration... But haave read some posts that said that they won't let you fly out if you enter Northern Cyprus from Nicosia..

Can anyone please enlighten me?

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

I do not think that Cyprus a full member of Shengen so there is a full check at the airports and I presume details are put into the immigration system in some way.

But when I have moved between North and South on foot or by car at the North details are put into their computer system, both in and out, and at the South sometimes the passport has to be produced but has yet to be opened once they see it is EU. However the car has Cyprus number plates and I was not carrying luggage when on foot.

I suspect but do not know that provided your in and outs match there is no problem for the future but if you enter through Larnaca but go home by another route from Istanbul the computers will not have matching entry and departure records.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

Cyprus is not a Schengen Visa member-country. Therefore, you can expect your passport to be checked by immigration on arrival. Depending on your nationality, they may or may not stamp it.

Please note some passport holders require a visa to enter Cyprus.

This is the official position re: flying into Ercan (taken from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus):

"Travellers entering the Republic of Cyprus via the illegal / closed airports and ports (i.e. all the airports and ports in the occupied areas), are in breach of national law of the Republic of Cyprus. Therefore, you are urged to travel via the recognized ports of entry, so as to avoid any possible problems (provided that a visa has been granted to you). The legal ports of entry into the Republic of Cyprus are the airports of Larnaca and Paphos and the ports of Larnaca, Limassol, Latsi and Paphos, which are situated in the area under the effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus. Any entry into the territory of the Republic of Cyprus via any other port or airport in the area of Cyprus in which the Government of the Republic does not exercise effective control (Turkish occupied area) is illegal".

Exactly how they exercise their rights is unclear to me.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

Thank you very much for all the info. It has been very helpful!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

i am going for a weeks holiday in larnaca from gatwick, i would like to go to egpyt from larnaca , then back to larnaca and travel to kyrenia. then back to larnaca for flight back to the u.k.can any one tell me would there be any complations at the borders.of either countrys.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

i am having a weeks holidays in larnaca coming from to u.k. i would like to go to egypt from larnca for another week, then back to larnaca and go to kyrenia,than back to larnca to return to the u.k. dose anyone know if this would be a problem with the borders. thankyou.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

I see no problem with your plan as you enter through Larnaca twice and leave through Larnaca twice. Crossing to the North and back is not usually a problem, other than you must ensure that when you leave the North the visa you will be issued with when you enter is stamped for your exit.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

thankyou for your reply,I just thought it may be a problem going to Egypt from larnaca on a u.k. passport,and the border at the north.i have been to Kyrenia many times coming from larnaca so you think it would be ok if I booked a flight and hotel in Egypt. thanks again for the info.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

There is no problem for a UK passport holder to go to Egypt, my daughter works in Egypt and has visited me several times since I moved to Cyprus. You will need a visa for Egypt and I think you would have the choice of obtaining it from the Egyptian Consulate in Dublin if there is one or at the airport on arrival, the Egypt forum will have far more information on that.

I have crossed to the North and I had no problem about Egypt stamps in my passport, now entry to Israel was a very different matter.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

sorry I did not get back to you, I went to bulgaria for a week had a great time, I have booked all my flights and hotels in Larnaca also Egypt,now all I have to worry about is the buses to Lefkosa from larnaca airport,my friend is picking me up the other side of the border.have you any idea were the bus station is and how far to the border,we cant find any thing in English to go by,Iheard the taxis are very expensive.like to no if you have any info. thanks again for your help. Bridget from dublin.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Landing in Larnaca and departing from Lefkosa

This link has information cypruspublictransport.cyend.com/buses#nicosia but I am just not sure how up-to-date the information may be. Apparently the service terminates near the Philoxenia Hotel (spelling varies and may not be a working hotel) which is near the Cyprus Hilton which is not the the Hilton Park). All I can find says either take a taxi or the bus service www.osel.com.cy/index.php?link=index.php