We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

historical cyprus

llanelli Wales
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
historical cyprus

I am taking the wife on a surprise holiday next year and was wandering where in cyprus to take her,we both love historical monuments and like to be away from the touristy regions we both love trying the local cuisine and like to blend in with the locals as much as possible i am in my mid fiftys and the wife will be fifty when we travel so if any of you good people have any suggestions please feel free to give them.

many thanks Mike.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: historical cyprus

Definitely the Paphos side of the island - lots of historical monuments, within travelling distance to the Troodos mountains to visit the old villages and monasteries.

The eastern side of the island, Ayia Napa, Protaras, Pernera, although with beautiful beaches, doesn't have the same architectural interest as the western side. Hopefully someone from the Paphos forum will come along and give you more details. Nicest time to travel if you are interested in touring is (only from my past experiences) May/June/mid September/October/November. July and August are just far too hot to be exploring the Tombs of the Kings and other ancient remains!

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: historical cyprus

Hi,I think Limassol may suit you,being in the centre of the Island it is an ideal base,There are the Amathus Ruins to the east of Limassol, Down at the the square near the old port is Limassol Castle ,where Richard The Lion Heart is said to have married. west of Limassol ,Kourion Ruins.Kolossi Castle/. you could take a drive into Paphos and visit Aphrodite's,s Rock on route,then visit St. Paul's Pillars and Tomb of the Kings in Paphos,just to name a few .there are also various historical sites in Larnaca.Nicosia is well worth a visit.

have a look at discovercyprus.com

larnakaregion.com

Julie

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,813 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: historical cyprus

I agree with Julie that Limassol is a good base for exploring the island but you say you like to be away from the touristy areas and I am afraid to say that Limassol is very touristy. I am not sure whether you would like to be based in a quiet area and then travel to the Troodos mountains and Kykkos monastary, Nicosia, Paphos, Limassol etc. We stayed in Pissouri in March and that is fairly untouristy and is still within easy reach of the places you would want to visit. It is half way between Paphos and Limassol.

We went all around the Akamas peninsula and the weather was glorious for touring around at the end of March.

There are quieter parts of Limassol but I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

This is a link to a quiet hotel in a quiet area not sure if it is what you are looking for.

http://www.aasparesort.com/index.html

Edited: 06 May 2011, 18:48
Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: historical cyprus

Hi,

As twigs says Limassol is a tourist area so is Paphos,Tochini-kalavassos villages ,in between Limassol-larnaca are nice,not to far from Zigi fishing village and Governersbeach,with easy access to the motorway. viouni village outside limassol is also nice. have a look at cyprus-travel-secrets.com.Julie

nicosia
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: historical cyprus

Lefkara may well be ideal for what you are looking for. It is one of the most picturesque villages in Cyprus, tucked in the southern foothills of Troodos at equal distance from Nicosia, Limassol and Larnaca, easily accessible. There is a small hotel in the village, a few holiday rentals in recently restored traditional houses. Also several fine restaurants that serve traditional food and are popular with the locals. It is a quiet village, listed and unspoiled with exceptional architecture, close to the Choirokitia neolithic site, the Machairas monastery, the St. Minas convent and much more. In the village itself there are no fewer than fifteen little old churches, one dating back to the 12th century was the seat of the Bishop of Limassol during the frankish era.

The village has a long history and tradition and is the home to the famous Lefkara lace. There is a handicraft museum in the village and another very fine one in Kato Drys nearby. Absolutely charming.

Pitsa

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: historical cyprus

To do what you want you really need to drive but that is not a problem as we drive on the same side of the road as UK and having been in England and Wales last month I was surprised at how bad roads have become there, the winter presumably explains some of the damaged surfaces.

The island is small so wherever you are based you are really no more than about about 2 hours to anywhere. Lefkara has its fans but I am not one and I suggest you look at the area between Omodos, Platres and Kakopetria for your base. Limassol and area I think is the major area for historical monuments followed by Pathos but there are sites all over the place, early prehistory and onwards so you will be spoilt for choice.

Leeds
Level Contributor
188 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: historical cyprus

Hello

Are you planning a 2 week trip, and will you have a car the entire time you're away?

If so, you could split your visit into 2/3 places, or more. It's just an idea for you to consider.

We did a 2 week visit last Spring, over 4 different places (I appreciate that's not for everybody as some like to unpack and have one base for their entire time) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We stayed up in Polis for 4 nights, in Tries Elies (tiny mountain village) for 3 nights, Pissouri for 4 nights and Maroni for the last 2 nights. We had a mix of accomodation from basic self catering to beautiful B&B. We got to see a mix of coast/mountains/monuments. Loved all of the places that we stayed in. If you click on my reviews I've reviewed 3 of the 4 accommodations and highly recommend the places we stayed at in Maroni and Tries Elies.

We avoided Paphos as we'd been there a couple of years ago and seen what we wanted to. We also prefer smaller places.

Just an idea - there are some lovely little out of the way places if you want to get off the beaten track, and it's nice to drive around Cyprus and see all sorts of interesting things!

Edited: 08 May 2011, 13:29
8. Re: historical cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 13:19