We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which resort fo couple

scunthorpe
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
which resort fo couple

Hi we are planning on going to Cyprus in early June, but don’t know which resort to stay at, we are a couple in late 30s, We plan to hire a car and see the sites like to have a nice sea view but not into sunbathing all day, like to do a bit of snorkelling though. We would like a bustling night life but don’t want 18-30s club scene and sports bars everywhere with nothing but English food on offer. Any help would be appreciated

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which resort fo couple

We are in exactly the same position! Can anyone help?

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which resort fo couple

Same here! Can anyone help please?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,163 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which resort fo couple

As no one else has answered I will have a go. It is difficult to think of one place to fit your requirements. For instance I would recommend Limassol as a good base for exploring the island and there are lots of nice hotels with a sea view. But I am not sure about having a bustling night life without the sports bars and English food. The Amathus area of Limassol has the nice hotels with sea view but I wouldn't say it has a bustling night life, just a few bars and restaurants. The tourist area of Limassol probably does have a bustling night life but does also have sports bars and English food. The old town around the castle has a nice atmosphere at night with good restaurants where you can sit outside along side the castle walls.There are some nice trendy bars and restaurants but they are dotted around and not all in the same place.

Paphos also has lots of nice hotels with sea views and restaurants and bars but you will find a mixture of Cypriot and English food on offer. Then there is Bar Street which is where you are likely to find the younger age group but may have the sports bars which you are not looking for.

Pissouri is a lovely quiet little spot with just a few restaurants and bars in the bay and then a village centre about three miles away with traditional tavernas and is also in quite a good spot for getting around the island.

I will leave some one else to tell you about the Eastern side of the island such as Aiya Napa and Protaras.

To sum up I think you are doing the right thing getting a car and seeing the true Cyprus as the main resorts can seem a bit touristy and you will find some places selling English food and some sports bars. Unless you want to stay somewhere really quiet where you certainly won't have a bustling night life.

Personally I avoid anywhere selling English food and sports bars. I always stay in one of the many lovely hotels and go to good restaurants (of which there are many) and often drink on the terrace of the hotel. Cyprus is a stunning island when you travel around it but the main resorts may appear tacky until you get to know them.

Hope this is of some help.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which resort fo couple

Pernera which is not far from Protaras is a nice fairly quiet resort with some nice restaurants and u have the option to walk into Protaras if u want, although wherever u go u will find some bars/restuarants catering for English food/tourists

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which resort fo couple

Protaras perfffffffffffffffffffffct

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which resort fo couple

Pernera definitely - still a tourist region but not so "in your face". Lovely beaches, snorkelling, scuba diving if you want it, plenty of decent restaurants and a few bars doing entertainment, again if you want it. 20 minute walk along the lovely coastal pathway will take you into Protaras where nightlife is more active and a local bus ride into Ayia Napa, approx 20 minutes. Ayia Napa is well worth taking a trip into at least one night. It's not all 18-30, lots of good restaurants and a good atmosphere. The eastern side of the island Protaras, Pernera, Ayia Napa is reknown for its lovely beaches but is relatively flat and doesn't have as much historical interest as the western side of the island but if you have a car you can drive east to west in 2.5 hours.

I'm afraid you will find sports bars and English type food in most tourist places, they are after all provided because tourists have demanded it but having a car will enable you to get out and about into the little Cypriot villages and experience the "true" Cyprus. Personally I have been going to Pernera for a number of years now and enjoy it but I avoid sports bars, karaoke and tribute acts like the plague.

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: which resort fo couple

Hiya,

Paphos sounds right up your street.

The towns offers:

bustling nightlife

traditional tavernas

abundance of history

hidden coves

sandy beaches

friendly atmosphere

airport transfer time of 30 mins

Anywhere in Cyprus is a winner.

Good luck with your search

Stewart

Edited: 17 May 2011, 12:40
scunthorpe
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which resort fo couple

Thanks so much for all your advice i will start looking now that NTL has finally got my internet working again. I dont mind the odd sports bar so long as they can be avoided and thats not all there is on offer.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
24 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which resort fo couple

Hi you 2, we often go to Cyprus, the first few times we went to Paphos, there is plenty to see/do a lovely walk down to the harbour ( You would love that) there are plenty of bars around the centre of the town, cafes/restaurants & plenty of car hire, you are not that far from Trodes Mountains but if you do decide to go there do not underestimate the weather it can change from ground level sunshine to rain at the top, get a car with A/C Prices are up with the Euro range from 110/114 for your £, we have just returned from Protaras, it was lively with Rockefellers bar & a few others check out the prices of the local beer, they range from 4 euro to 2.50 look around, the beach are is fantastic and going under a revamp, Nap pa is not to far from there by bus, we left there last week & it was HOT during the day but a bit nippy at night, check on the web regards the both places I think you will enjoy the people are really good, have a good hol.

South of England
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: which resort fo couple

Anarita village is a lovely location. Traditional village with local facilities such as tavernas and mini-mart but close to Paphos and many of the superb sites and attractions on the island. We stayed in a property in anarita chorio www.cyprusholidaylet.com. Lovely. Car hire is recommended.