We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Cyprus

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Cyprus

Hi!

I have never been to cyprus before & have had good reports,my wife & I will be travelling alone hopefully beginning of Sept, we are 52 yrs old & like beach & cultural can do either.

We both like good entertainment in the evenings so would appreciate any assistance on what part of cyprus to go to & maybe some hotel choices would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Cyprus

It is always difficult to advise people as we all like different things. We normally stay in Limassol or Paphos but in March this year we stayed in Pissouri at the Columbia Beach Resort it was really nice and we found a good local car hire company and explored the island as it was reasonably quiet at that time of year. It was easy to reach the Highway from there and it was in easy reach of most places.

Paphos has quite a bit of culture and some nice hotels but the beaches are not really all that great, a bit rocky.

Limassol is big, the coast road stretches for 16K but there is a bus that runs all the way along it and it has a proper town centre and the old town at one end going through the tourist area, then the Amathus area right up to the quietest end. It is in a very good position for exploring the island. We usually stay at the Four Seasons Hotel but have stayed at the Mediterranean Beach and the Amathus Hotels. These hotels are on quite a nice stretch of beach (black sand) and in a reasonably quiet area with just a few restaurants and bars around them.

In both Paphos and Limassol you have a beach path to stroll along.

The resorts themselves are not particularly pretty but when you travel around Cyprus you will find that it is a beautiful island. My profile picture is taken on the beach path in Limassol

The Eastern side of the island has the better beaches but not so much culture. I have only visited that side of the island but never actually stayed there so I will leave someone else to tell you about that part.

This might give you a starting point but if you want any more information please ask.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Cyprus

Hi I think you would like the Kefalos Beach hotel. Look at all the fabulous reports on trip advisor, we went last Sept/Oct and it is probably one of our favourite places to stay in Paphos. The location is wonderful, you have the coice of walking into Paphos along the coastal path(about 30mins) or along the main road or even catching a bus. we usually walked in and took the bus back as we nearly always had shopping with us.The hotel is like a little village with beautiful walkways and lots of bushes and flowers and you are right nest to the sea. There isn't a beach as such but you can get into the sea down some steps. This place is worth having a look at. Barbara

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Cyprus

As someone has mentioned Paphos I will just say that my favourite hotel in Paphos is the Amathus Beach followed by the Elysium.

The Columbia Beach Resort in Pissouri if fabulous

The Four Seasons and the Amathus in Limassol (five star) and the Med Beach (four star).

London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Cyprus

we have stayed in Protaras twice, and we like it, protaras and penera have the best of both worlds, not far from Agia Napa which has a lovely harbour and is not all about the clubs and bars if you really look into it, the motorway is easily reached from both resorts and i thoroughly advise a trip to Nicosia and the troodos.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Cyprus

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback we are looking into the options, much appreciated!

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Cyprus

Hi fellow Lincolnshire resident

We have been to Cyprus many times - I have written reviews of places that we have stayed - if they are of any use to you.

We will be returning to Cyprus very soon - can't stay away!

It will still be lovely and warm in September.

Do you like big hotels or self catering apartments/villas?

Whatever you decide on, have a great time x

Jan

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Cyprus

Hi,

we would ideally like a hotel where there is good nightime entertainment & in a nice location but not to noisy, I`m hard to please arent I !!

I like snorkelling as well can you advise me on if it is any good snorkelling in cyprus.

thanks for your help.

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Cyprus

Not hard to please at all - we all want the best from our holidays.

Snorkelling - Someone said to Hubby that there is not a lot of variety at that end of the med as there are no reefs - we don't know what it is like further out to sea though. Sharm el Sheikh/Kenya were amazing for variety of fish in our experience.

Bars/Tavernas usually have a singer on one night or so a week - hotels have entertainment but, I don't know enough to recommend one - sorry.- hopefully a Cyprus expert will be able to help you there - good luck x

9. Re: Going to Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 15:18