We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing

Littleport, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
Border crossing

Going to Protaras in a couple of weeks and planning to hire a car and cross border into Northern Cyprus for day. Is the border insurance payable in Euros or Turkish Lira (or Sterling) Does anyone have up to date cost? Will they accept Euros in Northern Cyprus or do we need Lira - will probably only have a meal!

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing

You need to confirm with whichever car hire company you use that they will allow you to take their car to the north.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing

We crossed the border last month. Insurance is payable in Euro. I can't remember the exact amount but 1 day is EUR15 or EUR20. Not sure about eating in the north though.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing

They will take any form of currency but will only give you change in Turkish lira. Pay by credit card if you can and then you won't be left with a load of shrapnel in your pocket.

Littleport, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing

Thanks for that although if we have to use Turkish Lira to buy something to eat in Northern Cyprus, perhaps it is worthwhile us changing some here before we go - this is what I'm trying to establish as I'm sure the exhange rate they give will be c**p!!

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing

Exchange rate here today is 2.85 TL = £ 1

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing

Since you're only going for a day, I would just take euros. ( We usually do because we can't buy lira in the south)

I don't think it's worth paying extra commission to your bank to buy lira.

We went to Turkey recently and exchanged euros for lira there, too. As Ttoli says, the exchange rate is good. We were happy with the transaction.

London, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing

We did the trip a few weeks ago in a hire car. The car insurance was 35 euros, paid in cash and lasts for a month. The visas are stitamped on a loose sheet therefore you do not get one in passportl. We used both euros and credit card whilst in Famgusta without any problems.

8. Re: Border crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 17:19