We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Northern Cyprus

clacton essex
Level Contributor
173 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Northern Cyprus

Hi,

Can anyone explain proceedures of travelling to Northern Cyprus for a day trip.,I am staying in Larnaca and will probably take the bus to Nicosia and was wondering how to cross border from there-do buses cross the border and/or can you cross on foot?If I were to hire a car would there be a problem? Also would crossing to the North cause me any problems on way back or at airport on way out of country? I am a UK citizen travelling on to Malta from Cyprus.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Northern Cyprus

Getting over the border is very easy , You just need your passport , You will be given a visa ( well a small piece of paper ! ) and it only takes a few moments , Regarding a hire car , you will need to check with the hire company that its ok to take it over and you may need extra insurance in the north ( which can be bought at the border ) , There is no problem in getting out of the south at the airport ( not that the north stamps your passport anyway ) ..

Sorry not sure about buses or on foot , hire car would be the best way to go in my opinion as you are only going for the day ........

Simon .

ps : Do visit St Hilarion castle nr Kyrenia , Tis blimmin amazing ..

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Northern Cyprus

Hi stennydave

Simon has basically covered everything regarding Hire cars and the stamps at the border the crossing by foot is within the old town walls in Nicosia, head for Ledra St and walk to the end where the crossing is. You will need your passport and as stated you will fill out a slip and it will be stamped, don't forget to hand in the slip on return otherwise you may not be able to cross in the future

Kev

3. Re: Travelling to Northern Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:18