We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

Hello, I am flying into Larnaca Airport on Oct 28 and would like some recommendations for car hire? Ideally would like to collect from airport.

Looking for a car for a week.

Best prices and service?

Thanks

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

I use Stevens Car Rentals - very reliable. Car at the airport for collection and you just return it as empty as possible and leave the keys in the boot. Google Stevens and send an e mail for the best price. No complaints from me at all, The price they quote is the price you pay, unlimited drivers and no extra insurance. You do pay for half a tank of petrol

UK
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

We used Stevens based on recommendations from this forum about a month ago. We had an upgrade and were initially expected to pay the rate for the upgraded car, but member of staff fine when given amount we had agreed by email. This included around 28 euros for half a tank of fuel. No problems with the car, pleasant staff who speak good english.

Berkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

I believe Europcar rent dangerous cars - that is my conclusion based on two of the three cars they provided to us during a 14 day stay in Cyprus. They also do not check them over, and refuse to speak to their customers when they have problems.

The first car we received had a failed brake light, which they replaced, taking the car away for the best part of the day. However, this was much less troubling than the problem we discovered the following day: the brakes were no good. They were squeaking and grinding, and very spongey. When we spoke to their office in Limassol, they took the car away - and did not tell us they had left a replacement. When by chance we asked in reception at our hotel, the receptionist informed us that they had left another car. This was our second car.

After this we spoke to Europcar again, and they offered us 1 day's money back - which we accepted at the time.

The brakes being okay, we took the second car up to the mountains. As we left the restaurant late in the evening, we heard a scraping noise. Looking under the vehicle, some aluminium cover had completely "burst" through and was touching the ground as we drove. It does not seem to me likely that the extent of the problem happened suddenly, so the state must have existed for a while, and had only just started touching the ground. In the end we used my father-in-law's bastouni (walking stick) to try and push it back up so that we could trundle slowly back down the mountains to our hotel.

At this point they replaced the car with yet another. This one was broadly mechanically sound, but the central locking did not work, and the boot fell down on my wife's head (if you've ever had the pneumatic supports on a boot fail and felt the weight of it, you'll know this is very painful and quite dangerous). We contacted Europcar again to ask for further compensation for the additional problems (loss of time, trying to fix the issue in the middle of the night, lying in the middle of the road etc.). They promised that the management would call us back, which of course they never did.

At the airport when we returned the car, we again asked to speak to somebody about the problems with the second and third cars, from the very rude receptionist at Larnaca airport. She told us:

1) There was no information on her system about our problems so far (implying that they had not happened, despite us providing the key envelopes for 3 cars, and evidence of the single day refund)

2) There is no way they would compensate us, since we rented through the Drive Cyprus site - with no explanation why in that case we had been given a single days compensation direct from Europcar already

3) We had been compensated already for all four incidents - despite the fact that this contradicts points 1 and 2, and we had not told them about one of the issues until that moment

4) The two replacement cars had arrived with a full tank of petrol, which was compensation enough - even though we had no opportunity to use much petrol with car 2, and little with car 3 - compensation you cannot use is not compensation!

5) The person she was talking to on the telephone at the regional office was refusing to speak to us directly about it, despite many repeated requests.

Our experience of Europcar is that they do not properly maintain their cars, you receive no explanation of the problem if you are lucky enough to realise that there is a problem with a car (it simply is spirited away), some of the cars are genuinely dangerous (inadequate brakes etc.) when it is very likely that the cars will travel in mountainous regions, cars are not properly checked over and Europcar refuse to take responsibility for any of this.

I would strongly advise anybody reading this not to use Europcar. There are plenty of other options at the airport (which I have not tried myself) - such as Sixt, Budget, Avis etc. Do not risk yourself or your family by using these guys simply because they are cheaper.

4. Re: Car Hire..From Larnaca Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:17