We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Cyprus. advice please

Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Cyprus. advice please

Thinking of visiting Cyprus May or June next year and hiring a villa. I Have never been before and don't know where to stay.

We are a mid 40's couple with no kids who like history. We don't do beaches. We tend to holiday in southern Turkey for the history and ruins and love the friendly Turkish people.

Don't mind hiring a car to tour around.

Like to stay somewhere where there is restaurants, cafes etc. Within walking distance and don't want anywhere that is more for young drunken teens.

I have heard of some of the major cities or towns in Cyprus but know nothing about them.

I would welcome any ideas. Maybe someone could point of to a web site that could help me to decide.

Paphos Segway Tour
Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Paphos Sea Cruises
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Lander Explorers
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wheelie Cyprus
Sightseeing Tours
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

This is the site of the official Touist Organization for Cyprus. A travel guide would be another good source of information so as to find places that interest you and not someone else.

http://www.visitcyprus.org.cy/wps/portal

If you don't do beaches and are willing to rent a car, then rural Cyprus would be a good option, so better have a look at the following site also. Please bear in mind that a lot of villages in Cyprus might not look particularly rural or traditional.

http://www.agrotourism.com.cy/

More choices for cafes and restaurants, would suggest somehow more tourist villages such as Lefkara or Peyia, for example, where less tourist, but equally charming villages might have limited options for food and entertainment.

If you prefer urban areas then I suppose any of Paphos, Larnaca or Limassol would do, as they all contain historic monuments, and anyway distances in Cyprus are rather short.

Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

Thanks Marjory. That's very useful. Off down to WH Smiths at the moment for a good guide book. I take it the weather will be okay at the end of June, start of July

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

It's guaranteed sunshine, if that's what you are asking. However it will be getting hot, and if there is high humidity during that period it will be getting red hot!

4. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:05
Slovakia
Level Contributor
95 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

If you don't mind to rent a car , maybe you should consider to stay in suburbs of Larnaka, e.g Pervolia. It's a quiet place, with small square and few restaurants, and 15 to 20 min from Larnaka Center. When we stayed there , we rented a villa on the beach ( 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, huge kitchen and living room, garage, ...3000 eur/month)...it was great place to stay-live.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

Hi, I also enjoyed my stay in Pervolia last year, you could also have a look at Pissouri/Polis/Latchi.Take a look at.

www.Cyprus_Travel_Secrets.com

Edited: 15 October 2012, 19:29
Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

www.cyprus-travel-secrets.com/

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

I would recommend Coral Bay/Peyia area. There are numerous restaurants to choose from and lots of lovely private villas. It's good for families and couples, less of the 'singles scene' than, say, Paphos. There are only a few late night bars. It is also a short drive to Paphos, a world heritage site, steeped in history e.g. St Paul's Pillar, the catacombs, mosaics, tomb of the kings, Agios Neofytos, also nice things to see (again with a car) such as aphrodite's rock, adonis falls, akamas perninsular etc. Kato Paphos is based around bar street so attracts a younger crowd at night but most hotels are far enough away to not disturb you, so also a good option if you prefer not to hire a car, obviously much larger choice of restaurants, cafes etc.

9. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 21:35
Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Cyprus. advice please

Hiya,

It sounds like you the Tombs of the Kings Area of Paphos would suit you.

There are many Historical Sites within easy walking distance of this area ie within 2 miles:

Tombs of the Kings

St Paul's Pillar

Paphos Mosaics

A car would help with venturing around the island and visiting other areas including the Troodos Mountains.

The Coast is no more than 500m from this area but Coral Bay, a 10 min drive has the better beaches.

Good Luck with your search.

Regards

Stewart