We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North\South - still a divide??

cambs
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
North\South - still a divide??

We will be visiting Cyprus to attend a wedding next year. As Ive never been before id like to make a holiday out of it and travel around the island.

We would probably fly in and out of whatever airport has th best flight prices and hire a car for getting around.

SO if we flew into the north we would want to visit the south and return to the north (or south to north and back to north).

Can we cross the border anyway?

Any special visas needed?

any problem taking the hire car back and fro?

thanks for your help

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North\South - still a divide??

Hi, yes Cyprus is still divided, you can cross back and forth , you will need extra car hire insurance, make sure that your car hire company is aware that you are taking the car over the boarder.

No visa,s needed just passport, you will receive a stamped paper, I think the best person to give you advice is toli on the Kyrenia forum, re-post on there or send him a PM he lives in the north.Julie

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North\South - still a divide??

Some (but by no means all) hire car companies will allow you to take a hire car from south to north, but hire cars from the north are not allowed to cross to the south.

cambs
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North\South - still a divide??

thanks just what i needed to know!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
322 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North\South - still a divide??

If you're taking a car across from the Republic of Cyprus to the north you cannot cross through at Ledra Street (Nicosia main shopping street crossing point) as this is by foot only...

The easiest and most central is probably Ayios Dometios near the Nicosia Racecourse and the Coca Cola factory, where it's easier to get to Kyrenia.

You can go also by Ay Nicholaos crossing point by the garrison - just keep heading for signs for Famagusta and it will take you straight there but that's nearer to the "pan handle" so is a longer drive but good to see different parts of the occupied areas.

Generally now, we tend to cross over on foot and park our double cab at the underground car park close to the shopping centre.

If taking a car through to the north, you will need to purchase an additional car insurance (minimum of 3 days) and the cost is usually based on the engine size. You will be covered only for Third Party insurance and it's best to check what happens if your car is in an unroadworthy state should you have an accident rendering it useless to drive (ie - how do you get it back into the Republic)....

And, watch out for the speed cameras in the north. If they don't get you at the time, there will more than likely be a fine picked up when you are checked back out of the computer at the crossing point as you come back into the Republic.

One big tip: no matter if they wave you through at the crossing point on your return into the south, make sure you stop, get out of the car and get your passport checked out from north to south - otherwise, you may have a lot of difficulty should you ever decide on a return trip.

Another tip: it is not a border. Better to refer to it either as a crossing point or green line but never a border unless you want to lose friends from the Republic very quickly... ;-)

cambs
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North\South - still a divide??

Thanks for all that useful info!!

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North\South - still a divide??

Just like to South There are a few companies here in the North that allow their cars across http://www.aone-cyprusrentacar.com/ being one .Insurance North to South is 25 Euros a Month, South to North 10 Euros for 3 Days, 30 Euros a month.

Both will cover you 3rd party only, though A one (as per link) have offices North and South .

If you want driving directions use the search engine @ http://www.cyprus44.com/ There is very limited Sat Nav coverage this side.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
322 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North\South - still a divide??

ttoli

The Sat Nav system isn't much better this side of the divide either as far as I can gather :-D

In fact amazingly enough, I've found some of the best road maps can be found on the AIS Marine Shipping tracker site that I use! How mad is that?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North\South - still a divide??

ttoli,

Is it a recent thing that hire cars from the north can travel to the RoC?

I have never seen one - but that said, I haven't seen *many* hire cars going the other way either.

Your a-one link suggests they can, but elsewhere it still says they can't ?

"....when you rent a car in the North, you are not allowed to cross over the south. Only personally owned cars can cross over to the South (basically a car that is not a rental car or displaying the rental licence plates which are red)"

northcyprusonline.com/North-Cyprus-Online-Ch…

"...it is forbidden to take a North Cyprus hire car across the border..."

kyrenianorthcyprus.com/services/…

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North\South - still a divide??

Ady_Pubdog

Things change here on a monthly basis, that said I personally used A one 2 years ago and took the car across, without a problem and now take my own car across a couple of times a month again without issue,

Hope this helps

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North\South - still a divide??

ttoli,

Thank you, it does and I stand corrected on my previous post.