We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

Newport, Wales...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

I'm going to cyprus in September and I'm looking for the best place to stay for shopping. I've looked at pathos but I'm not sure so some advice would be much appreciated.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

Hi, Nicosia and Limassol are the best places for shopping, you could stay in Larnaca, then you are in easy reach of both towns. Larnaca is also not bad for shopping.Julie

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

I don't think you'll find anywhere in Cyprus as good for shopping as the UK. However, if I had to choose it would be Nicosia - not a holiday resort. The island is small so you will always be within 1-2 hours drive from the next town.

Trisha

Newport, Wales...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

I've been recommended pathos or protaras. Has these places got lots of shops?cheers

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

Depends I suppose on what sort of shopping you like. Limassol has My Mall, which is the equivalent of a small mall in the UK and Makarios Avenue which is full of designer shops and also has the old town shops and a stand alone Debenhams.

I still don't think shopping in Cyprus is as good as the UK though.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

Larnaca also has a pretty good shopping centre but Nicosia is better. I don,t think much of the Limassol Mall, as said the UK is better for shopping.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

If it shopping you want stay at home as Cyprus is not geared towards shopping and more towards beach holidays

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

With Cardiff near you there is nothing in Cyprus that compares with that.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 08:51
Greenhithe, Kent...
Level Contributor
631 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

It depends what shops you want! I have stayed in both locations on many occasions and would say Pafos / Paphos is better that Protaras. But don't expect large stores and Department type stores. There is a mini Debenhams in Paphos. Generally shops are closing and new ones openings in these hard times.

A few years ago I used to come back with 4 / 5 pairs of shoes because they were lovely leather Italy styles and good value but no longer. Also some have an idea of buying leather bags fake names - no go. Visit another country if thats what you want.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 14:07
Greenhithe, Kent...
Level Contributor
631 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

Pafos / Paphos has an open market selling a lot of local items which appeals to me. Also they sell other imported items for the tourist!

Worth a visit as it blends in with the main town of Paphos and shopping high street.

A regular bus service can transport you from Kato [lower] Paphos which is the tourist area with the hotels and the harbour / castle.

Protaras shops is really geared to touristy style shops. Close by is Paralimni which has a main high street with bigger shops but a lot have become empty! Small M&S and Lidi and a few large shoe shops and supermarkets.

Cyprus is really for sunny holidays. Food and drinks and enjoying / relaxing yourself with friends.

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in cyprus for shopping

For shopping, then most certainly Nicosia, however you'll pay a premium on UK prices, as an example few Items bought in M&S in Makarious Avenue in December, were over half the price in the UK (Non sale), The Economy is biting and prices are on the way up.