We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
617 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

I would appreciate any help with this matter. My husband and I will be arriving in Cyprus this September for one week, we can not do a package tour as we already have the airfare so I am trying to pick a hotel and area to stay on my own. I am considering Larnaca (as it is nearer the airport) but the beaches don't look too inviting and also Ayia Napia but I don't really want to be right in 'party central' so I am looking at locations on the fringe. We will not have a car so all our transport will be by taxi (from the airport) and local bus (for getting around) does anyone with experience know which would be better for a first trip to Cyprus?

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

I personally would not stay in Larnaca itself (although it is a great place to visit) as you will not have a car you could try one of the hotels on the Larnaca-Dhekelia road, taxi fare to there should not be much and the local buses pass by all the hotels. There are planty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. Palm beach is very nice (have stayed there) and the Princess looks nice.

There are plenty of places to stay in Ayia Napa which are not in the party areas but the taxi fare will be more. Liminaki by the harbour is in a great location but a bit basis, have stayed there many times

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

I would advise Ayia Napa for the beaches. However if you look in the brochures they now renamed a part of Ayia Napa as Nissi Bay. Any of these hotels would suit. They are more expensive than the centre though. Also in this area you have quite a few beaches to choose from. You have to see Nissi Beach but as I say there are others to choose from. The Dome, Asteria and Olympic Lagoon are the furtherst out and perhaps a little too far because you would need to taxi to any restaurants or bars. The Adams, Aeneas, Nissi Beach, Nissiana, Anonymous, Pavlo Napa, or Tasia Maris would be my recommendation. In that order they would give you from 30 mins to 20 mins to walk to the centre. However there are plenty of restaurants and bars opposite the hotels between the Adams and the Tasia Maris.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
617 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

Thank-you both for your help.

TitanTrigger what makes the hotels on the Larnaca-Dhekelia road a better choice, is it the beaches or the access to nightlife? I'm curious since one of the hotels I'm considering is there.

BeAirSteward do you think that the area around Macronissos beach in Ayia Napia would be suitable? That is where the other option is located.

Cheers

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

There are two beaches in this area. Macronissos and Landa. Both are sandy and minutes walking distance between the two. There are beach restaurant/bars on both. I would not advise walking to the centre. Probably take about 45 mins so as you can see you are a long way from the noise. Twenty five mins walk should get you around Nissi Beach. Here you will find a string of Bars and Restaurants along Nissi Avenue that are more family orientated. I don't know what your option is. The Dome would be a longer walk than the Olympic Lagoon. There is a cycle path to use all the way down Nissi Avenue should you wish to hire bicycles and explore. I spend all my days in this area so I'm probably biassed toward it. I stop around the Nissi Bay area to have the bars and restaurants across the road. It is certainly not party central in this area either. But if I want I can walk to the centre and make as much noise as I like there!

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

I am biased really I used ti live just up the road from the "strip" and it was my local hang out place. I find it is a really friendly place and the restaurants and bars are really nice. The beach is not soft white sand but it is clean, also a handy place to get to other places from. What hotel are you thinking of?

Greece
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

Why don't you consider splitting your stay to both cities. In Larnaka there is a resort called Faros Holiday Village, right on the beach which is really great. It is a ten minute drive from the aiport (about 8 pound fare) and the place is great for relaxing and enjoying a beautiful scenery (the beach is certainly not as nice as Ayia Napa). Spend there 3 days and then ask them for the other 4 days to transfer you to their sister hotel Faros Ayia Napa, which is on the Harbor of Ayia Napa -- far away from the noisy center and still only a 5 minute walk from it. The nice beaches at Nissi Bay though are a long walk (about 15 minutes) and since you will have no car, that is something to consider (not sure if there are any buses).

port glasgow
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

hi moon, try the LYSITHIA HOTEL APARTMENTS (00357-24646009) its on the larnaca-dekelia road oppisit a very fine beach , the hotel has been refurbished and they are doing discount prices at the moment , check out there website and ask for george who is the owner, a very nice chap, larnaca is is the ideal location if you want to travel around cyprus,

good luck

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

I would recommend the Dhekalia Rd. area of Larnaca. The bus into town is cheap and the bus very old but certainly to ride on it is an experience. A man comes on half way along the journey to collect the fares then jumps off again! Beau Rivage, Palm Beach and the Princess are all good, and all have plenty of tavernas near them if you want to eat out sometimes. Do consider doing the walks led by the CTO in Larnaca, the Friday one takes in the arts and crafts area behind Larnaca Fort and is very interesting both for the architecture and the crafts.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
617 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

republicofscotland it's funny that you mention the LYSITHIA HOTEL APARTMENTS as that is one of the places that I am considering. Have you stayed there yourself? Is there a supermarket nearby? Thanks for any input you can give me.

The other place that I'm considering is the Mon Repos Hotel in Ayia Napia but I have not been able to find much information on that property either.

port glasgow
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Larnaca worth a stay or is Ayia Napia a better choice?

hi moon, i stayed last month at the LYSITHEA HOTEL it has just re opened, there is a little supermarket next door and also shops and resturants down the road 5mins walk, try GI resturant / cafe ask for JIMMY the owner he does very tasty food at reasonable prices.

have a nice time in larnaca.