We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

We are visiting Cyprus in early April and something I have not been able to determine from travel sites, books & forums is whether we should split our stay between different sides (east/west) of the island. I used Google maps to determine the travel time between Ayia Napa to Polis. It suggests it will take roughly 2.5-3 hours via car. Obviously, this would mean up to 7 hours in the car in one day and if we want to visit any other sites on the west, we are wasting a lot of time driving. We seem to find the best deals if we rent a place for an entire week, but if this will greatly hinder our Cyprus visit, I think we'd be willing to stay a few nights on the east and a few on the west.

We do plan to hire a car, so I don't know if staying in the north is worth it or that may be an option as well for a night or 2. Originally, we were thinking we would just do a day trip to the north and walk across the border crossing in Nicosia, but I would like to see as much as possible on the island.

Any suggestions on this or anything else related to Cyprus would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, we are frequent travelers with a young child.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 20:55
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

I think your idea to split your stay between the east and west is a good one. In early April you should have no problem with hotels being prepared to take bookings for less than a week.

The travel time is as you say, but it would be worth allocating longer, taking it slowly, and seeing something of the island on the drive.

You don't say how long you plan to stay in Cyprus, but if it's only a week I think you're going to be stretching it to stay in the TRNC as well. If you do decide to drive over make sure that you hire your car from a hire company that allows you to do this - some don't. There is a compulsory purchase of car insurance at the crossing. If you only have time to walk through the crossing at Ledra Street in Nicosia, it's still very interesting and worthwhile.

Enjoy!

Trisha

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

Thank you very much, Trisha!!

We will be there 8 days, so I think we will split it around half on each side. We wanted to make it to Kyrenia & Famagusta, but I'm not sure that will be an option to do in a day trip and we are now pretty certain of not staying in more than 2 places during an 8 day trip (we've done that traveling in Europe with our son and it can be tiring for all of us, lol). We will definitely hop across, but if we can't make it to the other towns, we'll have to hope to make it back again :). Thank you again, we are looking forward to our time in Cyprus!

John

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

I didn't mention Salamis, but I think that may be a part of Famagusta??? That's one of the places that I really wanted to see on the north though.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 18:42
Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

Hi, is your eight days including the day that you arrive and the day that you leave if so that really only gives you six clear days to do everything you wish to do.which Airport are you flying in to I would say make Limassol your base for the first 3-4 days being centre of the island it is good for getting around.

If you are flying from Paphos make that your base for the remainder of the time you have left. if flying from Larnaca you could stay there or ayia napa about 35 minutes drive away.then you could visit the north from there.Julie

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

Yes, however we do land early morning and leave mid-afternoon on the 8th day, so we should have some time each day (though, I expect it to be more localized to the area we are staying the night for arrival and the previous night for departure). Our flight times are not very long either, so we shouldn't need too much rest. We are flying via Larnaca and originally planned to stay in Ayia Napa, though I think we've decided to spend some time on the west at this point as well. Thank you for the tip, Julie!

John

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

You will find organised day trips from all the resorts in ROC to TRNC, which is another option rather than taking your hire car.

Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Trisha

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

-Just realized that was 2013 and 2014, so a bit late for advice- But i leave it here in hope to help new visitors.

Hi jaguarsfan,

To be realistic, your time is limited to see both both sides of the island properly and really enjoy ur time. Cyprus is an island and like most island vacation, u would like to sit and relax, enjoy the beach and food like locals do. So you would have to give priority to the one side to make this trip enjoyable. As I am from the west side and i know more about it ill give u an itinerary that would fit well.

First i recommend that u stay in Protaras(10 mins from Ayanapa). Its more relaxed, beach in my opinion is better and will probably be less croweded. Rent an apartment for your whole stay there. You can get great deals on apartment rentals when u rent for week. Like this u can afford to pay for an extra night or two somewhere else without really loosing money. Also you will have a piece of mind by having your stuff in one place. If u need recommendations of places to stay let me know.

Day 1 Protaras. Relax expore the area.

Day 2. AyiaNapa. On your way to aya napa(half way=5mins away) there are some great spots u can stop and see even swim, like kavo grecko and konnos beach.

Day 3. Go to the east side to visit amoxostos(the ghost city), and salamina(great historical sight). u can also swim there great beach. This is very very close to Protaras and its a very easy day trip. Back to Protaras.

Day 4. Go to Nicosia early during the day if u r interested to visit the historical old town and the green line or to Larnaca to see some beach city that is more oriented to locals than tourists. From Nicosia or Larnaca go to Limasol and stay there at night. A city u can really see how real Cypriot night life is(against touristic areas)

Day 5. From limasol u can take the scenic route to paphos where you will pass by Petra tou Romiou - (Rock of Aphrodite) and kourio(famous old ampetheatre). In paphos u visit the tombs of the king and then head to aphrodites baths in akama. It will be a day full of cultural visits. these are great places to see and eat. You can either head back to Protaras early evening, or better stay in Paphos or even head to the mountains to sleep there to see how real village life is in cyprus.

Day 6. If u go to the mountains or stay in Paphos one option is to head to the mountains, then take the route back to larnaca from limassol. Like this u can also visit Choirokoitia - UNESCO World Heritage Centre. this is a neolithic era village. Also on the way is Leukara, a famous traditional village. If you skip the mountains u will probably have time to spend the afternoon in Larnaca and head back in protarars in the evening(45 min car ride). This day and day 5 can be adjusted accordingly to your preferences and wether u prefer to see more for less time, or less for more time :)

Day 7. relax in protaras, enjoy sea. or visit larnaca.

Day 8. departure

Hope it helps. I really cant think of any better way to make the most out of your trip without torturing yourself or missing the best of CYPRUS.

Yiannis

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:28
8. Re: Cyprus - 8 days: travel suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25