We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balanced Cyprus experience

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Balanced Cyprus experience

Hi,

We are a couple in our early 30s, looking for a non mass tourism holiday, yet in a reasonably lively place with a decent beach. We are especially trying to stay away from fish & chips/pub type places and experience an authentic Cypriot cuisine and local culture. We will be renting a car, so happy to travel to the cultural attractions, but we wouldn't like to have to drive every night to have dinner or a glass of wine. We are planning our holiday for mid September, so any suggestions are most welcome. Many thanks!

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

You can find decent beaches all over Cyprus. THE best are located east, however,Ayia Napa, Protaras are because of their beaches THE mass tourism towns. This does not mean that they only offer fish and chips. You can also find there decent restaurants and taverns where locals eat. Have in mind that that mid Sept is not the peak month for tourism in the region.

Now, if its just decent beach you are looking for, then any coastal town would fit your needs. I could propose Larnaca as it is more central and could combine easily day trips to other areas ( as opposed to Paphos which is on the west coast and further away from Nicosia and Larnaca. I only mention Nicosia because you said " cultural attractions", otherwise it wouldn't be amongst my cities to visit, during September)

You may enjoy more authentic Cyprus if you decide to stay on a village instead, but then you'd have limited choices on restaurants.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

I think Larnaca would suit your needs, its so easy to get about and if you feel like a break from driving the inter-city buses stop on the prom in the town center.You could also have a look at pernera near protaras, not too built up there are some nice restaurants there.It is one of my favorite places in Cyprus.On beaches the ones in Limassol-Paphos are not much to write home about.Julie

dumfries
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

Go to the North!!! It is amazing!!!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

Hi Please can you tell me more about the "North" We are a South African couple aged 45 looking at our first Greece experience in July 2013. We did Turkey last November and loved it. We don't like Mass tourist places and like nice accomodation but not fancy.

dumfries
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

We are in our early 50's and I don't like alot of people. The north is much much quieter. It's cheaper as it is not in the euro, it is very safe, there is a lot of half built houses in some places but it is not a mass tourist place. On the karpas you can nearly be the only person on some beaches. By vouni palace it is very green. I really like it. We have been other places and as tourist they rip you off but we have not found that in the north. When we went south we found it very commercial. We do stay west of lapta so further out.

6. Re: Balanced Cyprus experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:15