We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

Hello, my husband and I will be traveling to Turkey next April and plan to make a brief 3 day stop in Cyprus. I would like to see some of the beaches (local culture, cuisine, etc) and he is more of a history buff (archaeological sites, historical establishments, etc). What location would best encompass a mix of these two preferences at that time of the year?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,405 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

It is quite difficult to encompass the best beaches and the historical sites. The best beaches are on the eastern side of the island but most of the historical, archaeological sites are around Paphos and Limassol. At that time of year I would think you might be better to stay in Paphos or Limassol. Will you have a car as that could make a difference? If you could make a trip to the Troodos mountains the Spring flowers would be out and you could visit the various villages and visit Kykkos monastery.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,875 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

If you are arriving from Turkey, the only airport you will be able to fly into is Ercan in the TRNC.

You will be able to cross to the ROC, but to get the most out of your 3 short days it would be best to hire a car.

Trisha

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

Hi, which Airport will you be using in Cyprus if Larnaca you could stay there and visit Nicosia , cross over to the northern side see the buyak han and other stuff or you could see the walled city of Famagusta/Ancient Salamis Ruins and the Ghost Town of Varoshia, all of these are also easily reachable if you land in the north and stay there.As said the beaches are better from Larnaca down to the east coast. But it may be to chilly for a swim

But I think it is a myth that you need to go to Limassol or Paphos to see historical sites, sure there is the Kurion Ruins, Kolossi Castle/Limassol Castle/ around the Limassol area and the Archaeological park and tombs of the Kings in Paphos.

There is the Choirokitia settlement on the Limassol-Nicosia highway dates back to around 6,800 BC and the Kalavasos Tenta which is nearby. In Larnaca north east of the prom there is a small but very important site the Acient Kition home to the first settlers in Larnaca .to name a few so yes you can combine good beaches with History one of the best beaches I have been on in Cyprus is Constantia next to the ghost town in Famagusta I have posted pics of it in my review of the red bus tour.

Even if you are staying in the North a few of the places I have mentioned are easily reachable if you travel over to the south one day.Julie

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

Thank you very much for the responses! Yes, we would be arriving in Ercan. We hadn't yet thought about renting a vehicle as we are just now beginning to plan out the logistics of our trip. We're very open to suggestions, thank you!

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

Hi, I think it would be a good idea for you to stay on the northern side , if you can hire a car your husband would love the Salamis Ruins in Famagusta I went up there three weeks ago it is an amazing site there is a beach next to it, from there you could go and see the ghost town go down to Constantia beach you are so close to the bombed out hotels from 1974 if it was not for the wire fence you could almost reach out and touch one of them at the beach entrance.have a look at reviews for Salamis on the famagusta forum.

Not far from there is the walled city of famagusta you could see all that in a day.

And you could go into Northern Nicosia there are some lovely old buildings I love walking around the Buyuk Han or great inn as it was known you can view that on the Nicosia forum.

Then cross over to the Cypriot side you will need to take your passport, and walk around the city walls.

But I would make your base in the north, or Nicosia the classic is a good hotel inside the city walls.

For somewhere to stay in the North or for car hire I would post on the kyrenia forum, that is another place you could visit. If you do wish to stay in or visit southern Cyprus make sure your car hire rental firm will allow it.Julie

6. Re: Where to stay in Cyprus for brief 3 day visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16