We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pissouri or Polis?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Pissouri or Polis?

I am flying out to Cyprus just after Christmas, very last minute. Flying into Paphos airport.

I'm torn between renting an apartment in either Pissouri Bay or Polis and am hoping somebody can advise.

I would like to get away from it all for a few days hence choosing smaller towns rather than the more populated cities. Both of these towns look beautiful and perfect for a short escape.

I don't have a car so will be reliant on walking/public transport to get around. Although I mostly want to stay in a quiet town, I will probably want to get out once or twice and see a bit more of the area, or indeed travel to either Paphos or Limassol and get a bus somewhere else on the island for a day.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I'm booking my flights today but will probably hold out on booking an apartment until I have some advice.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

You have posted your question on every forum, perhaps without realising that if you go to the main Cyprus forum you an see them all so I have asked for the duplicates to be deleted.

Pissouri is almost exactly half way between Paphos and Limassol, with journey times to both places by car around 30 minutes. Paphos airport is 20 minutes away from Pissouri.

Polis is around 45-60 minutes from Paphos airport and further away from Limassol.

Both are lovely but from a cost perspective, if you don't want to hire a car then Pissouri will mean lower taxi fares. Taxis are expensive in Cyprus, especially when compared to the cost of hiring a car so I would advise you to look at a hire car - driving is a doddle as it is the same side of the road as K as there is hardly any traffic. It will enable you to see and do so much more.

If you choose Pissouri then you could stay at the bay or in the village - the distance between the two places is a bit too far (and far too steep) to walk comfortably. If you choose to do so then downhill will take you around 1 hour to walk - and more if you decide to walk back.

For that reason I would recommend the village rather than the bay, added to which there is more choice of tavernas in the village and the square has a lovely atmosphere.

Pissouri is a little larger than it may first appear, although the village square retains all of its local charm and I would make sure when you book an apartment that you are within a reasonable walking distance of the square if you choose not to hire a car.

The 'only a few minutes walk' into the village that you can see on adverts may well be more like 20 or 30 minutes and Pissouri is quite hilly.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

If you don't have a car you might be better to stay in Paphos as it won't be that busy in January and getting out and about from Pissouri or Polis without a car could be expensive as Latimer says.

If you don't mind paying for taxis or staying put the whole time then the places you mention will be fine.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

Thank you both for your replies, really useful to know. I was under the impression both places had a bus service, albeit infrequent? I don't drive so definitely no hire car for me!

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

I've done a little more research and I think I am becoming more drawn to Polis. Initially I was thinking I wanted base from which to visit the larger towns, but on reflection I've been to Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca, Nicosia, Kyrenia and Famagusta on several occasions and don't necessarily need to go again on what will be a very short visit. Polis sounds lovely and I also like the sound of Latchi harbour and some of the nearby walks.

So my next question... is there a regular bus service between Polis Chrysochou and Latchi/Paphos? If not, how much would a taxi cost to each?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

This topic may help

tripadvisor.co.uk/…35590318

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

Hi, I think polis would be better for you ,yes there is public transport into paphos but none from pissouri,see

pafosbuses.com

Julie

taxis are expensive in cyprus

Edited: 23 December 2013, 20:30
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. I have booked myself into some apartments in Polis and can't wait :-)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

I hope you have a good time.

9. Re: Pissouri or Polis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:18