We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Hi all,

I am trying to find information on celebrations for New Year's Eve on Tuesday evening, there seem to be hundreds of private parties in hotels and clubs, but no actual documentation on public celebrations such as concerts and fireworks in the main squares, and I am trying to decide which town to head for that night (landing in Paphos in the afternoon and renting a car).

I read that in the last years there was something going on in Nicosia (Plateia Eleftherias) and in Limassol (by the old harbour), do you know what is the plan for this year?

Thank you,

Marco

Rome, Italy

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Where are you staying ?

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

http://www.cyprus.com/cyprus-events.html

justaboutcyprus.com/events

the above links should give you a little info on what is going on and where, but as said above it would help us if we knew where you are going to be.

Larnaca, head for Europe square at the end of the promenade

Paphos head for the harbour area

Limassol , the square surrounding Limassol Castle down at the old port.

Nicosia ledra Street within the walls

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Yes I would think there should be something going on in the places that you mention sorry to answer in two parts I got timed out on edit.Julie

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Hi, thank you for your replies.

I haven't decided yet where I will spend the night, I will have a car so my plan was to pick the town with the most entertaining public event.

Julie, I'm afraid your links do not provide information on public celebrations for NYE (in most cities in Europe normally they set up a big stage in the main square with concerts, performances etc, and then fireworks at midnight).

Which town would you recommend for the biggest show, if any?

Thank you,

Marco.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

Whatever they may do in big cities in Europe is irrelevant as your question is about Cyprus.

Your choice is Limassol, Larnaca, Nicosia and Paphos. There will be something going on in the areas described above BUT not the big show you may be expecting similar to other cities in Europe.

As you are flying into Paphos you could find an hotel and stay there going to the harbour for midnight. Or drive on to Limassol (1 hour), Larnaca (2 hours) or Nicosia (2 hours)

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

I think that you should find some accommodation first and take things from there .locals will tell you what's going on, but events take place in the areas listed above.also look at . www.cyprus-mail.com

you may find something there.Julie

7. Re: New Year's Eve - Public events in towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:17