We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South/North Cyprus

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
South/North Cyprus

We are hoping to come to the south in september to visit friends who will be living out there then.

We hope to stay with them for about 3 days and then go to our favourite hotel on the north of the island, ultimately returning to the south for the final few days with our friends and the flight home.

Is this possible - to cross the border for about 9 days and then return? We have never been to the south before.

Many thanks

Jan

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South/North Cyprus

Yes. Lots of people fly into Larnaca to stay in the north. Depending on where you are staying in south there are different crossings and will also depend on what transport you are using. Taxi transfers can be arranged.

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South/North Cyprus

Thanks Ann

Our friends are going to be living in Vasa - conveniently in the wine region!!!! We want to see how they live for the next five years until hubby retires and then we well may follow!

I think that this is near to Limassol, they will drive us to the checkpoint and collect us and we wil get taxi transfers to and from the hotel of our choice in the North.

Thank you.

Jan

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South/North Cyprus

I have just found out via the net that we can go to the North like we usually do and cross over the border, which is open 24 hours.

Apparantly we can cross as pedestrians at Ledra Palace and this is hassle free.

We will walk across and our friends will meet us at the southern side.

Only thing is - - - - - - - where is Ledra Palace? Anyone know please?

I a so glad to be going to the North first, I love the journey and this particular holiday.

I will let you all know how the crossing went etc when we return at the end of september.

Jan

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South/North Cyprus

www.map-cyprus.com/#Maps%20of%20Nicosia

To get to Northern Cyprus you drive to Central Nicosia, heading slightly north east of the Byzantine Inner City Walls. You will see a considerable fashionable area (by the coffee bars on the street). You are heading for directions of central Nicosia the Ledra Road. (which is a shopping road and you see border patrol). There is a Border Walk Crossing a mile North of the Ledra Road (you can not take your car through this) . This is the Ledra Palace Gate Hotel.

This is all I can find, pretty sure Ledra Palace is signposted, we ended up there when looking for car crossing, just head for centre of town!

Good luck!

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South/North Cyprus

Oops just realised you are going north to south.

At large statue island on outskirts of Lefkosa take 2nd exit towards town centre, keep heading for town and you will see Ledra Palace signposted. There is a busy one way bit or large island you come onto and if memory serves ledra is signposted right when this splits then straight on. We were looking for old town so not taking too much notice.

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South/North Cyprus

Thank you Ann,

Sounds like all we need - I will let you know how we get on but..................... I just looked for the holiday hotel we normally go to and the flight from manchester and on the 9th September when we wanted to go they are fully booked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to find a plan B !!

Jan

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: South/North Cyprus

Have a look at the private villas, there are some really good ones now.

uk
Level Contributor
728 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South/North Cyprus

good idea, thanks

9. Re: South/North Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 16:16