We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excel Airlines

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Excel Airlines

Can anyone give advice although it is a bit late for advice because I have booked the flights!!

Going back to Cyprus in October. Have always travelled with Cyprus Airlines in the past and been very pleased with them but have managed to get a reasonably cheap evening flight with Excel from Manchester to Larnaca in October. Anyone know if they are OK?

Thanks

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Excel Airlines

Kath....you should know. Type Excel in the search. Flew once with them. Cheap charter no frills A to B service. Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft. Small leather seats. They're OK.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excel Airlines

Thanks - have a feeling I might regret it but what the hell - as long as I get back to Cyprus a couple of strong elastic bands would do!

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excel Airlines

You'll be fine Kath. They may have a whip-round for spare elastic bands mid-flight but as a seasoned traveller to Cyprus you know that it isn't really that long a flight. As you say, the main thing is arrival at Larnaca and spending some more time there. Can't wait. 4 weeks next weekend. Oh that reminds me! We're flying Thomson. Hmmmm! Better stock up on elastic bands!

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excel Airlines

Not flown to Cyprus with them but did go to Egypt which is a little further and the flights were fine (bearing in mind I am terrified of flying). Just your normal run of the mill cheap charter, no frills as was mentioned before, you have to buy your own drinks, food was included though when we went (2004)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excel Airlines

Thanks everyone.

Have explained to my kids I am spending their inheritance on flights hence the reason to look for cheapos. Now starting to research next May and July! - what is it about Cyprus that keeps drawing us back time and time again. Wish I'd found the place in my 30s because I would most certainly be resident out there now!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excel Airlines

Now you're getting me worried Kath. I'm already addicted to holidays in Barbados (been 14 times now). I'm going to Cyprus for the first time in September....If I get addicted to that as well I might never go anywhere else in the world ever again!!!!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excel Airlines

Believe me Kirimist

I had to have an enforced break in 2003 to go to the Dominican Republic for my son's wedding. Weather is so much better in Cyprus, guaranteed sunshine and no tropical downpours, the people are a delight (not saying they are not in the Caribbean because they are) but there is just something about this little island. Its certainly not the most beautiful in the world, some of the large resorts can be totally tourist trash but if you get out and about from the large tourists resorts and find the little bays and authentic tavernas, she will steal your heart. The smell of the Troodos mountains, brandy sours, halloumi cheese - I could go on and on. Really hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Mile High
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excel Airlines

You'll end up like me. Cyprus every August/September. Carribean early in the year. Having said that we tried Maldives earlier this year.Very nice. Agree with the post above. Ayia Napa and even some other resorts can be a bit like Blackpool. But there's something about the Island that keeps dragging you back.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excel Airlines

Uh Oh, looks like I am in trouble then!

I could easily end up on the same cycle as BeAirSteward....we usually do Barbados in Feb/Mar and a mediteranean holiday in September.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
811 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excel Airlines

First went to Cyprus in the late nineties and to be honest we weren't sure whether we liked it or not.! It wasn't what we expected , having been used to the Greek islands but we have been back at least once a year ever since, and have still not worked out what it is about Cyprus that just gets under your skin. We have never been with Excel so can't help you there , we are trying BA in September.