We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting North and South

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting North and South

I will fly with Turkish Airlines to Cyprus this May, arriving at Ercan airport. As I will have four or five days in the island, I would like to visit the main touristic sites, focusing at history and nature. Do you know of any agency that could provide hotel accomodation and tours in both sides of the island? I was wondering about spending two days in each side. I will be flying out of Ercan to Istanbul. Is there any problem on crossing the border? Any suggestion? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ercan Airport
Ercan Airport
Nicosia, Cyprus
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Spanos Buses Cyprus
Bus Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Transportation
Cyprus Excursion
Sightseeing Tours
Wheelie Cyprus
Sightseeing Tours
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting North and South

hi andrebcm,

the restriction that i know is that you have to cross the borders from the same point, as they are several crossing points and you can stay up to 3 months.

however i found the below, which i don't know now how it effects you as you are not eu traveler...

Only the nationals of the following non-EEA countries do not need a visa for entry into the Schengen Area: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brazil…etc

Prior to Cyprus's accession to European Union, evidence of entry to Northern Cyprus resulted in denial of entry to the Greek part of Cyprus at the very least. After the accession, and according to EU legislation that considers Cyprus to have been admitted in full, an entry to the Turkish part is formally an entry to whole Cyprus and must therefore not result in any disadvantage to travellers from the EU. Travellers from non-EU member states (as, for instance, Turkish citizens) must enter the island via one of the legal entry points (ie entry points in the Southern part of the island) in order to visit the Southern part.

The Cyprus embassy in Washington on the phone (June 2006) when asked if the border is open to US citizens, didn't give a 'No', but said that they recommend entering from the legal points in the Greek side. Different entities and web pages claim different things. But there are recent (2012) examples of people entering Northern Cyprus from Turkey, crossing the border without any problems, although it was noticed when leaving Cyprus.

Mentioned in this post
Albania
Albania
Europe
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting North and South

Thanks again. I am thinking about arriving at Larnaca Airport, visiting Cyprus and then going to Nicosia, crossing the border at Ledras St, going to Kyrenia for two days and then to Ercan Airport to fly to Istanbul. Doing so, I would cross the border just once, disminishing risks of not being allowed to come to one part from another...

Mentioned in this post
Larnaca Airport
Larnaca Airport
Larnaca, Cyprus
Ercan Airport
Ercan Airport
Nicosia, Cyprus
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Nicosia
Nicosia
Nicosia District, Cyprus
Kyrenia
Kyrenia
Kyrenia District, Cyprus
Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting North and South

Hi olesia, I did think it may be a problem so thank you for your research and I will look into this further and see what our options are. Thanks again for your help. PJ

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting North and South

PJ18

You'll have no problems whatsoever, I Live here have a UK Passport and fly in and out of Ercan and Larnaca all the time , Out of one and back to the other. Sadly to this day Many Official Bodies in the South will tell you that as the North Doesn't exist , there are no rules pertaining to it.

Mentioned in this post
Larnaca
Larnaca
Larnaka District, Cyprus
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting North and South

Hi Please help

I am flying to Paphos & driving to North Cyprus then back to paphos

I obviously need to hire a car but please advise which hire company will allow this as I fly in 2 days time!!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting North and South

Hi, I'm using Fontana in July Cyprus-car.com but I have contacted a lot of the south hire companies and they are happy for you to cross but it's at your own risk? Last year I paid €20 for one months insurance at the border.

All the best

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting North and South

which one is the inside of Europe North Cyprus or South Cyprus?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting North and South

I want to go Europe Cyprus.Anybody can help me?I am stay in Istanbul,I am a Running Student of Turkey.How can I get visa from Istanbul?Do have Europe Cyprus Embassy or consulate in Istanbul?Which Cyprus can I visit without Visa?because I hold Turkey resident permit. Please help me.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting North and South

@mamunfeni, Republic of Cyprus(South) is part of EU. To visit you definitely need a visa and all info is here: mfa.gov.cy/mfa/…

I guess you can visit Northern Turkish occupied part easily but you will never be granted entry to the South if you fly to Ercan.

Cyprus does not have Embassy in Turkey but I think you may apply through the Greek Embassy.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting North and South

Thank you so much Sir.Please Sir If possible Can you assist me exact News that's I can apply for South Cyprus from Greece Embassy.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe