We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

We are thinking about going to N Cyprus for 2 weeks in September but after reading the reviews about the construction work and hotels I am now a bit confused! We are looking for a quality hotel (4-5 *) , smallish (less than 150 bedrooms) in a picturesqu area with public/hotel transport to nearest town/restaurants.

Recommendations would be most welcome.

We are travelling from Central Scotland and could go via Ercan or Larnaca. Which is would you recommend?

How long does it take to get to Kyrenia from Larnaca and is it a lot of bother?

Many thanks in anticipation

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

I wouldn't worry at all about tales of construction work etc as long as you avoid staying in downtown Kyrenia. We stayed at the Sempati once and found it very nice and the owners extremely helpful. Nice ool and a good little beach 2 minutes away (entrance charge). Can definitely recommend that. Other than that, I don't have personal experience of hotels because we like villas (we now own one) finding them a more comfortable base and you have more choice over the location.

I have travelled to both Ercan and Larnaca and nowadays I pick the one that has the best price and the best timetable for when I want to go. Other than that, it's swings and roundabouts. Larnaca is a direct flight but you have a long taxi transfer. Ercan is an indirect flight but a very quick taxi at the other end. If you add up total journey time its about the same.

It takes about 1.5 hours to get to Kyrenia from Larnaca and it isn't any bother at all. The taxi takes you right across the border and most of the time you don't even get out crossing to the north and only the most cursory check coming south. Just don't come back to Larnaca carrying cartons of cigarettes - they will be confiscated or papers showing you have bought or intend to buy a property.

Personally I would rent a car because without it you will be quite restricted. The cars are right hand drive and you drive on the left just like the UK. If you hire a car in the North, the rental company will pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel/villa where the car will be waiting and they will do the same at the end. It is a free service to Ercan and they charge about £40 each way to Larnaca. You don't want to stay in downtown Kyrenia because of the congestion and anywhere else you will miss not having a car because you will be tied to the hotel and not able to visit all the local restaurants and make sightseeing trips. Well, you could take a taxi of course but that adds up over the two weeks.

Hope this helps.

Allie

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

If you want peace, ( ie no kids ) it has to be Bellapais Gardens. You can book direct or via agents such as Cyprus Paradise. Don`t expect high luxury, the place is comfortable but not many frills. What you DO get is PEACE and the best view in North Cyprus from the pool, the Abbey is less than 100 yards away. It`s a boutique style, only about 20 rooms and great management. They have their own spring which feeds the pool. It is about 9 feet deep at most so stays cool longer than other hotels. Other local restaurants within walking distance, Guthrie`s Bistro 5 minutes up the hill. Car hire still a good idea, though.

PS; the hotel is on the side of a steep hill so you need to be able - bodied!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

Hi Scottigal. Gibson knows his/her stuff on North Cyprus, so I'm sure Bellapais Gardens will not disappoint. I'm a Dome Hotel fan, but it would appear standards have slipped in recent times judging by the love-it/hate-it reviews on the TA site.

That certainly cannot be said of the Vaha Spa, which has had five stars all the way so far. Maybe that's the place to head.

Ercan v Larnaca? Pretty much toss of a coin, I'd say, although, coming from Edinburgh, it would be nice to think the last leg of a long, long journey out there is the shortest, which just gives Ercan the edge.

Hope this helps. Tony.

manchester/england
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

depending on your needs you have lots of alternatives-personally i would stay just outside kyrenia,getting about is easy enough and car hire is relatively cheap! If you want the name of a car hire co and taxi service for your transfer i can reccomend one.They will transfer you from Larnaca or Ercan.The journey from Larnaca is only 55mins not 1.5 hrs so dont b to put off by the transfer from larnaca.

If you havent booked your flights yet I can provide a good link for air fares.If you want a package holiday I know a good company to travel with-this is all from experiance by the way Im not trying to sell you anything. I bought an apt out there and have travelled on many occasion to the North as I find it much better than the south side.

In the centre of Kyrenia the best hotel is the colony however its pricey. (but you can haggle-I have. If you dont get to stay there its

still worth a visit, the roof bar/terrace is lovely and there is a large

swimming pool on the roof. If you have children and want all inclusive try the accupulco-its got everything.

Bellapais is quite nice as you have already been informed and is worth a visit. If you want something a little cheaper but friendly with

a large pool and the choice of apts or hotel room then try Hotel Mountain View-really nice people foods not bad either.

This is situated just outside Alsancack and there are some lovely restaraunts close by (walking distance) The Ambience, The Messina fish restaurant are both reccomended.

Also there is a pub within 150 yds that shows all the english football if thats a up your street. Supermarkets are close by also.

A trip to escape beach is a must-its lovely and ammenities there also.

BEWARE- IT CAN BE REALLY HOT STILL IN SEPT!!!

Last year and the year before were mega!

Wherever you stay you will be made more than welcome !-cheers ste-have a lovely time and if i can help you with anything else-stephen.beddoes@ntlworld.com

manchester/england
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

By the way The Jasmine Court hotel is wonderful also-cheers ste

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

Thanks very much you guys for all the advice. It's all helpful and we're working on it now!

Kind regards

North Cyprus
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

As a resident of Kyrenia I can recommend the Mercure Hotel. It is brand new (only opened this January) and can comfortably say that it is one of the best hotels I've been to in Kyrenia. I have not actually stayed there but I have looked around, had dinner and can say that the hotel is very luxurious with good design and decor and the service and the meal were perfect. The scenery is also beautiful. You can take in both the mountains and the sea (the hotel itself is located on a projection onto the seas . Another option is the Merit Crystal Cove further down the coast. Both are 5 star hotels but I would say that the Mercure is of a slightly higher quality and has the better scenery.

Someone suggested Jasmine Court. I wouldn't recommend it. It used to be good but its a bit run-down now.

I always travel by Cyprus Turkish Airlines to Ercan. They are quite efficient and reliable though you need to book early. I don't know if they have flights to Edinburgh though.

Travelling to Larnaca is a bit of a hassle. The journey to Kyrenia takes about 3 hours and there can be long waits at the North-South border.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to e-mail me at kevindickens001@yahoo.co.uk. I would be more than happy to help.

North Cyprus
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

A correction to my last post - the journey from Larnaca to Kyrenia takes 1 hour (not 3 - I was talking about Limassol) but there still can be delays at the border.

Sorry about that.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

Why don't you look at Manolya Hotel www.manolyahotel.com

London
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in N Cyprus/Kyrenia? Advice needed please

Kevin, you mention the Mecure Hotel, I can find no information on it???????

Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations