We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

East Midlands
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

I have been enticed by marketing quoting "after more than 3 decades of indirect flights to northern cyprus, recent EU legislation and a relaxation of the border controls between the north and south of the island, have made it possible for clients visiting the resorts of Kyrenia and Famagusta to freely use airlines and airports serving the republic of kyrenia and famagusta to freely use airlines and airports serving the republic of cyprus and then transfer over the border into the north. The effect of this significant change in travel arrangements is dramatic. I want to be an ethical traveller and can not identify what has changed and would appreciate feedback.

Also like the look of Famagusta with its beautiful secluded beach area, but can not find villa acc/ self catering with proper cooking facilities nearby. Also want the opportunity to visit towns to buy arts and crafts like pottery, sculptures etc but also nice beaches within a short distance, so not sure which village is best. 2 adults, 1 child age3 going away peak school summer holidays. i.e. what is ozankoy like, do not like built high rise hotel complexes.liked lindmar accomodation but both companies I tried were booked up already. Would like shared or private pool with travel time to beach 5/10 min max via car.

Look forward to support. Re Flights can travel from birmingham, manchester, live in east midlands so london if needs be. Looks like larnaca is quicker, but then to purchase car hire in the north and transfer prior to this, but if you travel to ercan you have an extra 1 hour stop on the plane and that either way it still takes nearly 6 hours from uk airport to final destination.

Any feedback would be appreciated want to book before march.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

Hi

The holiday company blurb refers to the fact that since Cyprus entered the EU, it is now impossible for either government on the island to stop free travel of EU citizens across the border. So whereas in the past it was not possible to fly into Larnaca and then spend your holiday in the north, it now is. Likewise, it is possible to fly into Ercan in the north and cross the border to spend time in the south.

Most tourist accommodation in the north is along the north coast still spreading out from Kyrenia although there is quite a lot around Famagusta. Don't know thta area so well so can't really recommend anywhere. There are lots of places both to the west and east of Kyrenia which are lovely, good beaches. There aren't any high rise hotels really. Maybe 4 or 5 stories would be tops and they are few and far between.

There are a lot of villas. Try www.holidayrentals.co.uk or www.ownersdirect.co.uk.

Have flown both routes and probably prefer to fly into Ercan because of the short taxi transfer from there. But, if the price into Larnaca is much cheaper am happy to go that way too. You can fly to Ercan with Cyprus Turkish Airlines from various airports including Manchester, Gatwick and Stansted. You can also use Turkish Airlines from Manchester and Heathrow. For Larnaca you can use BA and Cyprus Airways from Heathrow and Monarch from Luton. There are also lots of charters from regional airports (like Birmingham and East Midlands) into Larnaca. You are right to say that by the time you add taxi time to the air time, the routes work out about the same. So, pick on convenience and price.

If you hire a car in the north (you need one) the hire company will transfer you from the airport to your hotel/villa where you can pick up the car. This transfer is free if you fly into Ercan and it is £40 each way if you fly into Larnaca.

Hope this helps, ask again if there is more I can help with.

Allie

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

I meant www.holidaylettings.co.uk!

East Midlands
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

Thank you for your comprehensive response. I will act on this now and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

East Midlands
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

www.holiday rentals.co.uk and wwww.holidaylettings. co .uk both really good sites with plenty of private villas in Northern Cyprus

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Just need to work out the cheapest airline and on the most convenient day and to decided which village is the best to stay in ?

Thank you for directing me to these websites.

Which village would people say is best when you want the chance for a stroll at night, restaurants nearby for that special occasion

nice views , near to beach and shopping ?

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

Glad that you found the websites useful. I wouldn't worry too much about which village to pick especially if you are in say a 10 mile radius of Kyrenia. There are so many good restaurants around and Kyrenia itself is great by night down by the harbour - although obviously the restaurants are a little tourister and pricer!!! Bellapais is the same. Exquisite setting, quite a few restaurants and good to walk around at night, but you pay a bit more for the privilege.

Alsancak is a very good area for being near the sea and also plenty of restaurants. A few of my favourite restaurants are in Karaoglanoglu. This is quite a built up area though so wouldn't be my personal choice to actually stay in. For a special night out (still very cheap though) I would recommend The Address, Ambiance - both right on the sea in Karaoglanoglu, or Kervan Terrace in Alsancak - lovely setting. But there are lots and lots of good places - have a look at other recommendations in the forum.

I think Cyprus Turkish Airlines have also got service from Birmingham to Ercan now. Ring them direct to get prices - I find their website a bit slow generally. You will get prices for other airlines at www.travelsupermarket.com or www.travelrepublic.co.uk or try thomsonfly or flythomascook for Larnaca.

There is quite a lot of info about restaurants, flights, car hire, things to do etc to Northern Cyprus on my villa website www.villarockheart.com I am fully booked this year so this isn't an ad but you might find some info to help you.

Allie

6. Re: Villa in North Cyprus, borders easier, which village best st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 19:21
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations