We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling

Hi

Are there any good places for snorkelling along the North coast (I mean beaches etc accessible by car not boat!).

We are probably staying around Lapta in October.

Thanks

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling

Hi

There are lots of places to snorkel, certainly in the area that I am most familiar with, west of Kyrenia. The coastline is rocky and the reef is quite close inshore in some parts. There are isolated islets/big rocks in some of the popular bays like Escape Beach where you can snorkel. There are two diving schools who could probably advise you more. There is Amphora on Escape Beach itself and they are PADI/CMAS/BSAC and there is another one which is based at the Sempati Hotel nearer you.

Allie

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling

Thanks Allie

It sounds as though we'll be alright just about anywhere then - though I gather with some beaches (all beaches?) you have to pay entrance fees. Do you know if this applies even if you're just using the sand and sea?! (ie not sunloungers etc)

I hadn't thought of asking the dive schools - that's a good tip.

Thanks again

R

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling

Hi Roz

In general, the beaches that are "developed" and provide facilities or are part of an hotel do charge to go on them - that's go on them whether you use the facilities or not. The charge is pretty minimal, although I suppose it would add up - I think Escape Beach charge 8ytl for the day to enter the beach and use all their facilities which is about £3.50. Others are similar I think. It's not bad really for a beach they keep very clean and use of a bed, umbrella etc.

You can get to the dive shop there without going onto the actual "beach club".

The naturalistic beaches are of course free or if you can get access to the shoreline at the end of a road (plenty of places) you could get in free. Do watch out for boats etc if you do this though.

Allie

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
270 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkelling

we've just returned from Kyrenia and we used the dive school at Sempati hotel as previously mentioned. It is very friendly, run by a scottish couple. The road from lapta to kyrenia has many opportunities to just turn off the road and see whether there are any opportunities to just drop into the sea. However, we have found that although the snorkelling is easy and in very warm waters, there is not much to see in comparison to other destinations if you are a seasoned traveller/snorkeller.

bath/karaman
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkelling

HI Roqzoq,

I agree with snorkelbabe. If you're expecting exotic 'veiwing' you will be dissapointed, Nice clear warm water but not a lot to see. Not even fish big enough for spear fishing and subsequent barbecueing. Don't be put off because there are many other things to see and experiance in North Cyprus. Many great restaurants and still cheap compared to many other destinations.

Experience areas above sea level ie St Helarion Castle, Buffavento Castle, Kantara Castle and take a trip up the Karpas Peninsular . You won't be dissapointed if you get out of the water. You may be lucky enough to experience the hatching of the loggerhead turtles but October is generally too late .

Have a great time while you can before developement overtakes the relatively unspoilt Turkish Republic of North Cyprus.

Regards Helarion

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkelling

HI there

Just wanted to say thank you for the further replies - somehow I missed picking them up!

it seems from what you say that the sea life might be a bit limited, however we'll give it a try anyway! We also intend to go diving with the PADI divers at the Hotel Sempati. But we will also be sure to vist the on land sites. And do some walking.... In fact 10 days isn't going to be enough, is it!

Thanks

7. Re: snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations