We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of visiting the North...

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of visiting the North...

I'm thinking of visiting Northern Cyprus for the first time so have been poking around the forum for a couple of days but still have many questions.

1. Is there still a problem with Turkish stamps on your passport if you want to visit Greece?

2. I've seen a load of hotel reports mentioning extensive building work but these date back a couple of years in many cases. I assume it's still going on, but how bad and are they ruining the North?

3. Any recommendations for a family with 11 and 15 year old boys? I'm not sure we want anything too commercial but would like a good pool and within walking distance of restaurants.

lake district...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

They will not stamp your passport, but they will stamp a piece of paper you keep in it. Building still going on, a resident maybe will give you more advise. Hotels, sorry cannot help unless you fancy Famagusta. Enjoy, still a lovely place to visit, more Greek Cypriots milling around now.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

Hi,

My daughters and I visited Kyrenia (Girne) for the day (an organised tour) a few years ago whilst we were holidaying in Paphos. We loved it so much that we knew we wanted to go back for a holiday some day (the scenery - Bellapais). We have now booked that holiday after much research using trip advisor, we are going to the Almond Holiday Village. We like the sun/beach sunbathing etc but also like to see the "sights" so a good mix of both, fortunately they don't mind not discoing, whilst on hol with their mum!!!! so we feel that from the posts here that this hotel will suit us and be a good base. You don't get any stamps in your passport. Don't have any worries travelling "North" we are doing this independantly having booked Charter flights and contacting the hotel direct. You can look on www.directtraveller.co.uk for more info.

Good Luck

Karen

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

Plodder, dont worry about stamps on your passport. Mine is littered with the things and I have never been refused entry to southern Cyprus or any of the Greek islands. If you are worried though, as Leica says, get a temporary visa at immigration to slip inside your passport and they will stamp that instead.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

Yes, I've got lots of stamps too and have had no problems in either southern Cyprus or mainland/island Greece.

We take our two teenage girls every year and they love Northern Cyprus. There are always plenty of other kids around particularly if you go to the developed beaches like Escape or one of the hotel beaches. Also Kyrenia in the evening is a nice lively scene for them. As regards activities, there is go karting (2 tracks), parasailing, jet skiing, a water park, an adventure park, golf, horse riding, gulet cruises, the castle museum, scuba diving, crusader castles and just plain lolling about in the pool!! Plenty to keep them busy for a couple of weeks at least.

As regards hotels, we always stay in our villa so can't really help there but personally I would advise that you hire a car. They are all right hand drive, you drive on the left just like the UK and its cheap to do so. That way you can get around to different places and also you can stay outside Kyrenia (which is busy and noisy) in the day and go in for the evening if you want. I would really really recommend this.

I wouldn't worry about building work unless you choose to stay in downtown Kyrenia.

Don't worry - you'll have a fantastic holiday.

Allie

Cornwall
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

Hi plodder. Going to the North for the first time in August with eleven year old son. We have rented a villa near Esentepe through the Owners Direct website. This seems really good value in Northern Cyprus compared to other places. Flying into Larnaca and getting a taxi to the villa. The villa owners say it is simple enough. Private villa owners always seem to have loads of contacts to pass on which smooths the way. Will also hire a small car which is pretty cheap to travel around a bit.

6. Re: Thinking of visiting the North...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations