We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good traditional food

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nth Wales
Level Contributor
651 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Good traditional food

Am due to stay at the Pia Bella (which I booked on recommendation from this site) and would like suggestions on where to go for the best traditional food and fish meals.

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good traditional food

For meze (full kebab) we like

Archways in Zehtinlik

Cenap in Alsancak

Belagadi in Kyrenia

Niazis in Kyrenia

The Address in Karaoglanoglu

Seafood -

Messina in Karaoglanoglu

Altinkaya near Escape Beach

Nth Wales
Level Contributor
651 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good traditional food

Thanks for your suggestions and only hope the ash goes before Saturday!

What is Kyrenia like for middle aged women friends like us who do NOT want the 'Shirley Valentine' experience. Have been to the south and had a lovely time .

What kind of fish is the most common and lovely to eat in Kyrenia ?

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good traditional food

I cannot imagine that you will have any hassle or overtures unless you seek them out!! :) Haven't noticed that sort of thing at all. Like anywhere in the Med. ladies who appear the worse for drink may find themselves subject to that sort of attention... but otherwise it is very polite and respectful.

Fish - generally the most popular would be sea bass, bream, swordfish and of course calamari. I personally find meat offerings better than fish in Cyprus - steaks and lamb are both excellent, really good. I would go for sea bass on the fish front probably. Certainly in the markets, it is sea bass, bream that you see on a regular basis and therefore must be local and fresh.

Have a great time.

ilgaz
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Good traditional food

if you have a car, drive up to Kozan above Karsiyaka, where you sit op in the mountains, stunning views and they do the most amazing traditional Cypriot food including Kleftico, lamb from a traditional clay oven. It's a bit of a drive (although through stunning country-side) but the experience is unforgettable!

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good traditional food

As you are staying at the Pia Bella I would suggest you go the Kyrenia Tavern in Turkmen Street. Leave the hotel at the front, turn left and walk down the main road past the hospital until you see a bank of pay phones on the left - just after this turn left - 100 metres up the road there is a white walled building - go in and book for the following day - it's a great experience and is traditional home cooking. Well worth it.

Can I also suggest a nice Pizza style restaurant close to the hotel - turn right and immediately cross the road passing the monument - cross again and the restaurant is straight in fron of you.

Also close to the Pia Bella is Mollys Place - good cheap food - kleft out of the hotel and 200 metres uo the road towards town centre..

Edited: 24 April 2010, 06:38
Scotland
Level Contributor
78 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good traditional food

Cenap in Alsankak is to die for, truly authentic meze style food, just make sure you go on an empty stomach as you will leave completely stuffed! I make a point of going to this resturant every time I visit North cyprus. Would recommend booking esp at weekend as its usualy quite busy.

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good traditional food

Minari local fish is very good. Try Padisah restaurant for trad just opposite the Colony hotel.

Karsiyaka, TRNC
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good traditional food

A good venue for lunch is the Delta Cafe at the New Harbour which would be about a 10-15 minute walk from the Pia Bella. They do the usual kebabs, salads, etc but also have daily traditional Turkish "house dishes". It has a nice terrace by the sea where you can sit and watch the fishes swimming in the crystal clear water.

9. Re: Good traditional food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations