We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
421 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just read a review from someone staying at the Malpas and they say to be aware of the snakes when walking out at night (down hill to the nearest pub) OMG has anyone else experienced this. Whilst I am on the subject of the Malpas I am reading so many mixed reviews can anyone give me some positive feedback. Do the staff really not care about their guests like some people say in the reviews. We were so looking forward to staying at this hotel in September as we are celebrating a special wedding anniversary now we are feeling a little anxious and wonder if we have chosen the right hotel.

kent
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi sorry cant help you with the hotel, but have just come back from 10 days in Kyrenia and not a snake in sight......thank god.

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been going to Kyrenia for 13 years and only ever seen 1 live snake ( in the belltower section of the Bellapais Abbey ). A few of dead ones killed on the roads. There are 2 types of snakes on the island: yellow vipers which are venomous and the larger non-venomous black snakes which were introduced to the island to prey on the yellow ones.

Northern Cyprus
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't help you with the Malpas hotel, there are indeed a few snakes around; of the 8 'types' that live on Cyprus there are only 2 that can potentially dangerous. Snakes show themselves more at night than during the day. Now to stop your panic, please bear in mind that it is very rare to see them, they are actually scared of humans and they will quickly move when they 'feel' you approaching, really you should be lucky to encounter them! I work with an outdoor company and in the mountains I do warn people not to walk in high grass and watch where they go other than that you be fine! For the onces interested, the only real 'nasty' one is the Macrovipera Lebetina or Blunt Nosed Viper, so rare that it is protected by law and killing one will end you up in trouble with the law!

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
421 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your messages I hope they have reassured me but need some answers for the Malpas needed please thank you all kindly.

london
Level Contributor
144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi we came back from the malpas on the 18/6.This was our second time there as we stayed in June last year.You are right the reviews vary a lot and I can only report as I see it.We stayed in Diamond Court which is slightly away from the main hotel and looked over pretty gardens and fountains.The rooms were large the beds were comfortable and it was clean.The pool at the hotel is huge and the regular pool boy was lovely.Yes there were numerous events held when we were there and some people were upset about it but they were held around the pool at night and included a Turkish wedding accompanied by fireworks which we enjoyed watching from the terrace.We never found much disruption and when you got up the next morning it was all cleared away ,they must work all night.Yes the drinks are expensive ,a lot of the staff don't speak very good English and some in the dining room don't seem very well trained.The food we didn't think was 5* but was adequate and you could always find something to eat that was nice.If you are fussy you can find faults but all in all for what we paid we found it a lovely peaceful relaxing holiday.I do however think you need to hire a car because there's not a great deal within comfortable walking distance .

Don't worry about snakes we have been coming to Cyprus both North and South for years and have only ever seen 2 crossing the roads in front of our car.They are there however so just be sensible and don't walk in long undergrowth or in the banana plantations as this is were they like to be but will probably slither away if they know you are there as they seem to want to avoid contact as much as we do.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
28 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I've been going to Kyrenia for almost 20 years now and have never seen a snake but I'm sure they are around.

The Malpas is on high ground and looks quite impressive looking up at it from the road. I have friends who are ex-pats who live out in and around Kyrenia and they have confirmed to me that they have also heard bad reports about the Malpas. Allegedly, if you're not tipping then they don't want to know.

7. Re: snakes please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia