We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

various questions....

Which Kyrenia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset,UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
various questions....

Im off to Kyrenia next week and wanted to visit a few places other than the usual places.

NICOSIA-Is it easy to do by Bus? Is it regular and rough idea of price and where to catch it from and where it drops you in Nicosia. Was thinking of strolling to South Nicosia if possible as well?

5 MILES BEACH? Is this the place where the landings took place in 1974? Isnt there a monument etc there? would be interested in visiting but wondered how easy it is to get to, the name of the village etc?

Didnt really want to hire a car and if i do will be to visit Karpaz so wondered is it easy to get to by Dolmus or taxi?

FLAG ON MOUNTAIN SIDE-Seen some good pictures of this place and would love to get a good view myself and take pics,can anyone suggest a good spot to get a picture and also how far it is from Kyrenia and again how easy to access?

CURRENCY-I will bring Sterling...any updates on Exchange rate in Kyrenia and where best to change it up?

Hopefully someone can give me some good advice on these........Cant wait now

UK
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: various questions....

Are you sure you don't want to hire a car? North Cyprus is certainly somewhere I would recommend you use a car. It isn't a series of 'resorts' and it is usually too hot to be walking far in the summer months.

5 mile beach is in Alsancak, and I think is better known as Escape Beach. There is indeed a monument there on the main road.

Karpaz is not a dolmus destination! Try Bird rent a car online - we usually use them. Enjoy your trip!

Devon
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: various questions....

Buses run from Kyrenia to Nicosea , you can also pay the same price and go in a stretched limo. Drop off in town centre from where you can walk along Ledra Strret to the Greek side. Take your passport. I would definatly hire a car for the trip because when in Famagusta it is then easy to get to Verosha to see the beautiful beach backed by all the abandoned hotels. or to go up the coast to Salamis. Five mile beach, or Escape beach is on the Kyrenia to Lapta road, well served by local buses.As you say there is a monument at this location, also close by is the war graves cemetary for the Turkish troops, and a display of damaged tanks, lorries etc used in the war. Interesting to see they used Morris Commercial lorries. To get to the Karpas you definately want a car. There is a new road from Kyrenia along the North coast all the way to the Karpas, so now can be done in one day. I have never taken a photo of the flags but they are visable from the Nicosea to Famagusta Road. Again hire car the best . There are many places to chabge money in Kyrenia.

Devon
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: various questions....

Re above, sorry a bit confusing, I should have said after the comment on Ledra Street, that you can also take a bus from Kyrenia to Famagusta but a hire car would be better etc etc

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: various questions....

I agree with advice above, main Lapta - Girne road is ok for transport (Dolmus) but its not very predictable so be prepared to wait. They will pick you up by the side of the road pretty much anywhere and are normally white (or blue) mini busses (they honk at you to see if you want picking up).

From Girne you can get the Dolmus to Lefoska (I am told its not too expensive).

There is no way you can get to Karpaz without a car, it is worth seeing though so I would suggest you hire a car. Minimum tends to be 3 days though so I would suggest taking this option and seeing Lefkosa, Famagusta and Karpaz while you have it.

Escape Beach you can possibly do without one if you use the Dolmus.

Flag is probably best photographed from Lefkosa.

Enjoy!

Karsiyaka, TRNC
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: various questions....

Just to add to the above you can get the stretch Merc dolmus (Kombos taxis) from Kyrenia town centre by the roundabout at the top of the high street. It costs about 7.50TL per person. Stay in the car until you get to the Kombos office which is right in the middle of the old town of Nicosia. You then need to walk back down to the main street and turn left. Keep walking past the Saray Hotel and you will come to the main shopping area where the crossing is. It will take about 10 minutes in total. All the main tourist sites are also in this area (the Selimiye Mosque, Buyuk Han, covered market, etc).

The flag on the mountain is at Taskent. You will be able to photograph it very well from the main Nicosia to Ercan road so if you are travelling via Ercan airport you could stop and take a photo then (if it's daylight).

sheffield
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: various questions....

We just got back on Monday and got 2.86 in Kyrenia town centre - just look around for the bereau de change there are quite a few of them dotted around. Enjoy!! :)

7. Re: various questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia