We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

We have travelled several times in the past to N.Cyprus and always went on a package to Riverside at Alsancak and flew LHR to Ercan with Turkish Airlines.

We are planning another trip next March/April and would like to rent an apartment/villa as we prefer the freedom of self catering.

We have found BA flights to Larnaca at £160 each from Gatwick and from Heathrow with Turkish £218 each. Living in Cornwall always means a boring trek to the airports as our local ones at Bristol and Exeter don't go when we want!

We have never been the Larnaca route, is it worth the saving or not?

Packages are nearly always just hotels or very limited self catering facilities but many are well priced with a free 3rd week!

We always hire a car for the duration and tour daily.

I searched throughout the forums but found nothing recent.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 06:52
Lincoln
Level Contributor
243 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

We always book flight separately

Transfers from Larnaca usually about £50 each way

Last few years we have flown straight to Ercan - and collected hire car from airport.

Birds hire car is the cheapest we have found £13 a day this year.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 07:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

The transfer Larnaca-Kyrenia takes about 45 minutes more than from Ercan, but you don't have the wait at a Turkish mainland airport. On departure, Larnaca is a fabulous airport - thousands of seats and plenty of places to eat and shop. Plenty of room to move around, though it must be said the Easyjet departure lounge is a bit cramped (hopefully, BA's would be better).

Of course, the airport's only been open about 4 years; I don't know how this compares with Ercan.

We went in March this year for the first time, and, having booked, I compared the cost of doing it independently. The package worked out a pound or so cheaper, though that could change for departures later in the year.

UK
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Two good replies. Apart from saving money, we find the standard of accommodation better when we book directly with an owner who uses the property themselves for holidays. There are some very nice, affordable villas in north Cyprus, and we think nothing beats having your own, private pool!!

Oldham
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Fly to larnaca (monarch/jet2) car hire company will arrange transfer. We use Cyprus Pines car hire (Yakup is the director and a great guy and never let us down)as they offer fully inclusive insurance etc and about £17 a day.

Cost of transfer is £50 each way and on a decent car/mini van.

Lots of apartments and villas at Lapta which is good. Enough bars and great restaurants close by.

We own an apt in Lapta and have travelled out twice a year for the last 7 years.

Flying via Istanbul is longer but can be cheaper and planes are better....

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Thanks very much for all your replies and will be a great help with our planning.

We found out yesterday can get to Paphos from local airports here with a transfer to Kyrnenia of about £85 which is another possibility but will have to work out all the factors and decide the way with the least aggro!

Thanks again..

Edited: 09 August 2013, 07:32
uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

We just did a DIY trip, flying from Gatwick to Larnaca and staying in a villa east of Kyrenia. I enjoyed the flexibility and privacy of having our own accommodation, and loved having our own pool! Transfer from Larnaca to Kyrenia was very straightforward, arranged through our car hire company (Pacific) for £40 each way. Haven't done the package option, so can't compare, but we certainly had a good experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Hi , is there a list of car company's you all have used?

Also a list of villas. It will only be my wife and I so do they do a villa for 2 or will we have to pay supplements?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 06:17
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

@ Johnny, reply # 4

I've read on another TA forum that Monarch are really struggling with their flights to the Greek Islands, so please beware. To be fair to them though, the posts I've read seem to be referring to flights between Manchester and the Greek Islands.

Long, long delays - badly maintained aircraft - breakdowns, etc.

See: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189479-i1459-k6… (I read the Lesbos forum regularly as my brother posts on it and visits every year).

HTH and doesn't cause alarm.

Karsiyaka, TRNC
Level Contributor
835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Gary2005 have a look here ownersdirect.co.uk/cyprus-north-cyprus-kyren… and here http://www.amyvillas.co.uk/

In my experience, villas are generally charged for by the week rather than per person so under-occupancy shouldn't be a problem.

uk
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to N.Cyprus. DIY or Package. Advice please.

Re probems with Monarch mentioned above - that's who we flew with (Gatwick to Larnaca) and it was all fine - no delays. Aircraft seemed fine - we even ended up with luxurious extra legroom seats on the way there (no extras paid).

Janet

Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations