We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing near Famagusta

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing near Famagusta

Hi,

I am coming to Cyprus in September 2014 and want to visit the north of Cyprus(Famagusta, enkomi and salamis). I am hiring a car in paphos, but I notice from other forums that taking a hired car from the south is not really possible. So, I would like to drive up to the nearest border crossing to Famagusta - which I think is the Black Knight, and park my car up on the south side, walk over the border, and get a taxi into Famagusta, and hire a taxi to take me to archaeological sites enkomi and salamis. I have looked at the day trips from paphos - and they are too expensive for me and they don't go to enkomi.

My holiday will be based in paphos, but I want to visit the north side(Famagusta, Enkomi and Salamis). I don't want to take a hired car over the border - too much hassle.

Is there an area around the border crossings, either black knight or others where I can park my hired car for the day? Are there taxi's waiting around the border area(north side)that will take me into Famagusta town? Does anyone know where the taxi rank in Famagusta town is - so I can negotiate with driver for 4 hour trips to sites?

thanks in advance for any information.

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

Hi - I went through the crossing twice last year although we were staying in the North. You can take a hire car from the south to the north as long as you inform them beforehand and if you do a google search you should be able to find out which ones let you. You'll just have to buy the additional insurance at the crossing.

We couldn't take our north hire car to the south so I just parked in Famagusta and got a taxi from the taxi office on the main roundabout that you'd come to about a mile through the crossing next to Famagusta old town. Coming back from the south we just got a south taxi to take us through and drop us at the same roundabout we got the north taxi from.

There were no taxi's waiting at the crossing (north or south side) but I did see some hire cars parked up so some people had obviously walked through and made arrangements for transport at the other side.

We were going to the south to attend a wedding in Ayia Napa. The north taxi charged us 40 euro Famagusta to Ayia Napa on both occasions - the south taxi charged us 60 euro Ayia Napa to Famagusta both occasions.

I'll be in Famagusta in about 2 weeks time so I'll get the taxi number and post it on this thread so you could always get them to come and pick you up if you don't want to take your hire car over.

Cheers

Paul

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

Your message was extremely helpful, and you are very kind to offer to get me the telephone number.

thank you

I appreciate it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
322 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

If you head for Nicisia, you can park your hired car in the multi-storey car park on Ledra Street and walk through the crossing point/green line (it's not a border and better not to refer to it as such if you do not want to upset the local residents).

From the other side of the green line you can take a bus or taxi to most places easily enough.

We go two or three times a year through the checkpoint on Ledra Street - from Limassol, which is where we live. We have also been through the Ay Nikoloaos crossing which is possibly the best area for you if you want to see Salamis. The crossing point there is via the army base so not sure you would be able to leave a hire car there...

Enjoy! It's great to see the contrast from both sides of the divide....

Edited: 17 July 2014, 06:17
York
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

Hello

Hopefully this is not too late for your visit to Cyprus. What you want to do is virtually what we wanted to do last year. We were also staying in Paphos. Allow 2 hours to drive to the border.

We drove to the crossing point which is on the road to Ayios Nikolaos and is also known as the '2.5 mile check point', probably as it is 2.5 miles from Famagusta. It might be called by the name you give it but I am not sure about that.

You can park on some rough land just before the start of the crossing point, but if you speak nicely to the guards they will let you drive past the first office (where you can buy insurance to take your car into Northern Cyprus) and park on the tarmaced car park half way through the crossing on the left.

I then explained to the lady selling the insurance what we wanted to do and she kindly rang for a taxi for us. She even helped us negotiate a price of 35 euros for and hours guided tour by an english speaking taxi driver.

We then walked through the crossing, having filled in the form and shown our passports, and then waited on the other side for the taxi to arrive.

The whole thing worked brilliantly. The taxi driver took us on a tour of Famagusta, stopping off to allow us to get out to take photos and then, most importantly for us, he took us to Varosha where our family has property which we have not been able to use since 1974. Whilst we could not access the property he took us as close as we could get.

Hope this helps and please get back with any questions.

Good luck.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

I have looked at the day trips from paphos - and they are too expensive for me and they don't go to enkomi.

========================================================

How many are there with you? From your post it sounds as though you're travelling solo.

While it's true the tours don't go to enkomi, they include guided tours of Salamis (a beautiful place ) and Famagusta. At a cost of around £29. Less any discount the shop selling the trips offers.

Far better, I'd have thought than driving yourself, insurance, taxis, etc.

mydestination.com/cyprus/things-to-do/135032… - Saturday.

There are two other companies in Paphos, with similar trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

thank you for information. That's exactly what I will do. You have been very helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

Not travelling solo - so cost of day trip against the cost of hired car, which I have already booked for the holiday anyway - just seemed too pricey. Plus there are a couple of places we want to go in Ayios Nickolaus and Famagusta area, which the coach trips don't visit.

But I appreciate the suggestion.

8. Re: Border crossing near Famagusta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations