We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hi.

Can anyone sort this out for me. There are so many conflicting posts. The question is: can I hire a car at Larnaca Airport and travel to Kyrenia (returning to Larnaca) for my holiday? If yes, can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced hire company?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
Larnaca Airport
Larnaca Airport
Larnaca, Cyprus
Kyrenia
Kyrenia
Kyrenia District, Cyprus
Larnaca
Larnaca
Larnaka District, Cyprus
Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

You might have a bit of trouble takeing a hired car across to the north.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Hi, it is not recommended to take a hire car into the North, you will not be covered by insurance if you take a car hired in the Republic over to the North. You would not be prevented from doing so at the check point but if the car broke down or you were involved in an accident you would not be eligible for the usual recovery service and would have to cover any damages yourself. I really would not recommend it!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaca
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

This is a link to the airport base car rental companies.

http://www.cyprusairports.com.cy/

I do believe that you might have insurance problems if you'd take the car to Kyreneia. What you could do is take additional insurance cover during the period you are travelling to the north side.

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

When I have had a hire car in the past, travel to the North was very specifically excluded. Driving my own car I have to buy extra insurance at the crossing as they do not recognize my insurance. The notices at the booth do have prices for hire cars but I did not note the costs. The notice would suggest that there are companies that will let you take a car cross but I have no idea of who they are.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire

I've since confirmed with Avis that they don't have a problem with taking their cars into the north and they will even arrange insurance for you at the airport.

Edited: 22 February 2010, 17:16
Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire

Very interesting info, it would be useful to know if you do cross without having to buy extra insurance. My car is covered for the North but that is not recognized and I have to buy third party cover at the crossing for my trip. My own car remains covered by the standard comprehensive insurance.

I found that driving in the North a bit slower with strong policing of speed limits.

7. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Larnaca