We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
Save Topic
Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

I need to get from Istanbul to Limassol this weekend one way trip. I have found a flight to Ercan and wondered how easy or difficult it is to find a bus or train from there to Limassol? or any other suggestions for travel from Istanbul to Limassol on the cheap . thanks - BRITISH PASSPORT HOLDER. -lindirobby@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

As far as I understand the Republic of Cyprus considers it is illegal to enter Cyprus that way and it does not matter what passport you hold. The legal way is through another airport such as Athens or elsewhere.

There have been no working trains in Cyprus since around 1951.

As far as I am aware there are no bus services that cross so that leaves taxi or walking but I do not know how thorough any checks may be. I have crossed but when walking but I did not have any luggage and when driving it was in a car registered here in the South on my return journey home.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

As a British (EU) Passport holder, you cannot and will not be hindered crossing the Border, Cheapest way would be to take the airport shuttle into Kyrenia ercanairportnorthcyprus.com/services/… .

Then take a Dolmus to Ledra Street crossing, walk across, head to the far end of Ledra street, turn left and the Bus station is there, Fare to Limmasol approx 10 EUROS.http://cypruspublictransport.cyend.com/buses

OR

A private taxi from Ercan direct to Limmasol (Yes TC registered taxi's can cross)would be approx £100.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

Fred is correct.

It is deemed illegal by the Republic of Cyprus to enter the Republic via any port/ airport in the occupied areas.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

The easiest way by far is to either fly into Larnaca or Paphos.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 16:13
Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

Ignore my posting please - didn't note you were coming from Istanbul.

Mentioned in this post
Akbuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

This is really confusing... are we allowed to cross the border ok... my friend is looking to do this run, he holds a British passport but lives in Turkey. Thanks Sue

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

I think that legally the answer is no to crossing having entered Cyprus through Ercan, but the chances of being questioned by the Greek Cypriot side are actually low to very low but that is a risk that only you can accept or not. If you do decide to cross make certain that your "entry visa" piece of paper is stamped for exit on the Turkish Cypriot side as they certainly will refuse re-entry if the entry and exit stamps do not match.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

Sue

I have lived here in the North for 5 years and cross frequentley using My British Passport and have never had a problem, Most times they don't even check the passport,

Fred's been listening to the Hellenic Propaganda machine too much.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

Most people enter legally via Larnaca/ Paphos or Limassol. Your friend must know by now that he's attempting illegal entry. The degree of vigilance of the authorities at the crossing points ( it's not a 'border ') may be relevant/irrelevant and it comes down to the risk you are prepared to take.

Edited: 03 July 2011, 20:49
Mentioned in this post
Paphos
Paphos
Paphos District, Cyprus
10. Re: Ercan N.Cyprus arrival to Limassol this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Larnaca