We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

Which Larnaka City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dresden, Germany
6 posts
Save Topic
Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

Hello! we plan to go to this hotel for a week in one month (in August) taking our 3 year old kid with us, does anyone know if the hotel is affected by the current power and water shortages due to the recent explosion? does it have its own generator? and most importantly, is there any truth in the statement I have read in the news that there was some ammunition with depleted uranium that also exploded? if so, does it present any health risk?

Edited: 14 July 2011, 20:43
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

I have just seen your post, so I don;t know if I am late in responding. However, the tourist industry, the hospitals, and water desalination plants are NOT affected by power cuts. Further to that most hotels, and for sure the luxury ones, have their one generators, so in your case there is nothing to worry about. Since the desalinations do not have any power cuts, there is no shortage of water as well.

Enjoy your stay

Dresden, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

thanks for your reply, it came just in time, in fact, everything was nice in Cyprus (apart from my daytrip to the occupied northern Cyprus but that's another story...), one does not notice any problems, really nice destination!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

Tell us the story about your daytrip........

Trisha

Dresden, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

well, as you wish :-) so I decided to do a day trip to the northern part of Cyprus, eventually visiting Famagusta, Karpas peninsula, Kyrenia and Lefkosia (both parts). The country is really nice and I admired the natural beauty of it, mainly the region of the Karpas peninsula. However, there were some disturbing moments, the first happening directly at the border (apart from the menacing machine gun towers of the Turkish army "greeting" me even before I reached the border), when the lazy clerks refused to accept the insurance cover of my rented car (although te policy explicitely said it covered the occupied territory, too), so I could only decide between leaving the car at the border+taking taxi or pay 20€ for 3day insurance (I needed just 1, but 3d was minimum),so I paid. Then people trying to rip me off quite blatantly on several occasions (like a guy in Famagusta trying to sell me Turkish beer Efes after I explicitely asked for local beer, or cake seller in Kyrenia asking 10€ for 2 small pieces of cake after I observed the local in front of me paid 5 Turkish lira for the same...) and refusing help when I needed it - wanting to buy water in the only shop somewhere in a village in Karpas but they did not want to accept euros or any other currency except Turkish liras, of which I didn't have enough, although they told me at the border they accept euros everywhere. So nothing really bad but in the end of the day I was leaving with mixed feelings, though I am glad for the experience :-)

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

I found the very visible army presence a bit intimidating on my first visit, and was surprised at how "different" the TRNC felt from the ROC, when it's all the same small island.

It sounds like you packed alot in to your daytrip - and like you say, you can put it all down to experience.

Happy travels!

Trisha

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

I am glad you've enjoyed your visit in our island ( well, beside the Northern part trip- actually for same inconvenient reasons, and possibly some fear, I have not visited the northern part of the island, although I was born in Famagusta, a few months before the turkish invasion).

It is comforting that you didn't notice any problems due to the power cuts. It seems the situation is getting much better now with the addition of more generators into the power network system.

We have also returned from our trip to Dresden, which we consider as one of the most, if not the most, beautiful, cities in Europe. Pity it was pouring with rain during our entire stay :(((

Dresden, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

rain in Dresden - congrats, you have experienced a typical summer day :-) no, it's not that bad actually, there are really hot days too - like now there was a spell of quite a few hot days, you just have to have some luck to be there at that time...

but that's what makes a destination nice and motivates you to come back. I for sure will definitely come back to the Rep. of Cyprus, I loved it, the people nice and helpful to foreigners at all occasions I experienced, nice and beautiful, kid-friendly beaches which even in the hight of the tourist season weren't crowded, nothing really overpriced, or the planes (due to the proximity of the airport, which in turn made our transfer very convenient) were by far not as disturbing as I had expected :-)

I haven't had any impression of chaos (like I had on some Greek islands ;-) and above all, I must say the country and people are managing the difficult situation after the explosion really well !

Edited: 17 September 2011, 17:28
8. Re: Health risk&Power shortage in Lordos Beach Hotel in Larnaca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:20