We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latchi - A few questions

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Latchi - A few questions

Hi

We have booked 2 weeks in a villa in Latchi in July (having previously had holidays in Cyprus in Pissouri in Sept 1990 and June 1991!), hoping to experience a little more of the real Cyprus in a quieter location than the main tourist towns.

We arrive on a Wednesday late in the afternoon and wondered whether we'll be able to get essential shopping in Latchi or whether we will need to go to the supermarket In Polis.

Are the shops in Latchi good for stocking up on essentials such as breakfast foods, snacks, beer/wine and BBQ food or will we need to go to Polis for this also?

How easy is it to walk from Latchi to Polis, considering the heat will be in the 30c+?

Is it easy to get a taxi from Latchi to Polis and return both during the day and evening?

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Latchi or Polis? We are looking for good quality traditional Cypriot food.

Can anyone give an approx. average price per person for 2 or 3 course meal? How about Meze? (when in Cyprus in 1991 you could get a Meze for approx. CY3.50!) What about drinks? I remember Keo beer and Aphrodite wine used to be fairly inexpensive.

Odd question time.... haha... We are a family of 4 with 2 teenage boys who need a bit of entertainment but they are generally quite happy in the pool as long as they have inflatables. How easy is it to buy inflatable airbeds or similar in Latchi? Or is that another one for Polis?

Thanks in advance.

England
Level Contributor
10 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latchi - A few questions

A number of Questions to answer and I will do my best to help you! Been to this area a number of times and you are in for a great holiday. Have not been back for a few years but am doing so again this summer.

Firstly you can buy all the essentials in Latchi to see you through to the following day or days and for "top ups". Supermarkets in Polis have greater choice for your main shops and are cheaper. Likewise you can buy inflatables for your teenagers (and you?!) no problem in Latchi. Keo is excellent in the heat (Tesco's in UK stock bottles now!) and Aphrodite white wine very acceptable when well chilled. Both very inexpensive.

Restaurant wise then Yiangos and Peter Fish Tavern on the front in Latchi was the best fish restaurant in Cyprus and we have had many memorable meals there as have other friends and relations since. Very friendly staff. In Polis the best restaurant is The Old Town Restaurant. Excellent meals. Cannot give you up to date prices for meals but my son went last year with his girlfriend and said Cyprus is even cheaper now than before the financial crisis. They came back with lots of Euros left over. Look at reviews of both restaurants on TripAdvisor.

With teenage lads the thing you must do is to hire a speedboat (with donut/ring for great excitement and all the usual snorkel flippers, etc.) and by far the best place to do this is The Latchi Watersports Centre. Very reasonable and I have negotiated a great deal with them via e-mail for this summer. Look at reviews on TripAdvisor. In Cyprus you only need a driving licence to hire a boat and it is great being your own Captain for the day! Beautiful coast line for some great snorkelling and views that you cannot get from the roads. This is a must for our family. We have also hired jet-skis from them which is also a thrilling experience for two teenage boys and mums/dads also!!

I do not recommend walking between Polis and Latchi in that heat even along the coast line. You can get taxis in Polis and Latchi no problem. There is an hourly bus service (622) which is air-conditioned and very cheap but the service finishes around 18:00.

Hope this helps?

Polis, Cyprus
Level Contributor
178 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latchi - A few questions

The main supermarket is in Polis, Papantoniou, open 7 days a week till late. The have a good butchers department, deli and fish counter. The smaller kiosk type shops sell all the basics but do tend to be a little more expensive. A decent Meze will set you back anything from between 12 and 20 Euro per person, are some pretty good restaurants in Latchi, Molos and Porto Latchi are both good. A litre carafe of house wine will cost about 8 euro and a large bottle of Keo anything from 2.50 to 3.50. the carlsberg is good as well and brewed in Cyprus. Head for Polis square for a taste of Cyprus, although our favourite "Moustakallis" is just off the square past the Central Point Cafe, there are also a couple of decent "Pubs" in Polis...the Village Tavern being one of them. As the previous poster mentions , there is plenty of stuff to do on the water in Latchi and if you are feeling energetic then the walk to Polis will take about 40 minutes along the coastal path which ends up at the Municipal Beach in Polis. Hiring bikes may be an option to get around. There is no Cash Point machine in Latchi but there are several in Polis, although most restaurants obviously take plastic. This side of the Island is cheaper than Paphos but expect to pay about 15 -20 Euro a head for an evening meal, including your drinks. If you want any more information please feel free to ask...Happy Holidays!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latchi - A few questions

Hi there. We went to Latchi again last year, so can update you a bit more. The local shops along the main road in Latchi sell all the top-up provisions you will need, including inflatables and marinated meats for your BBQ ! These shops stay open late into the evening too. There are 2 or 3 to choose from and all sell pretty similar products. One perhaps has a better choice of fruit and veg. The main supermarket in Polis (I think the second one has closed down now) has everything you would expect. You can pick up the beer very cheap here, and the local litre cartons of white wine are surprisingly palatable when chilled! You will pay a premium for known UK/ known brands however, such as frozen pizza, Heinz, etc. But it sounds as if you are keen to try local produce.

You can walk between Latchi and Polis, a nice route is along the beach to the campsite and then up the Tarmac road into the back of Polis, near the hospital. However, it is a bit of a trek, with a hill at the Polis end, so perhaps plan to get a taxi back.

Restaurant wise... There are many to choose from in Latchi. Our favourite is Nicandros, which is very much a family run place where lots of locals and ex-pats seem to hang out. We always start our holiday on the first night with a mixed village meze here. Yum. Molos has both a front and back seating area, so is good to escape any sea breeze, but still sit in the sun. All places do local dishes and catch of the day fridges where you can choose your fish. But, try as many places as you can. Not too sure about Polis, but definately take in a coffee and snack in one of the places in the small main square and watch the world go by. Arcontiriki (???) in Polis came highly recommended, but we never managed to visit.

For the teenagers (drinking age is 17 in Cyprus!!) there are a couple of sports bars, one near Porto Latchi, and a new funky place on the front called Oceano. The local youngsters seem to hang out at either Oceano or Zouk. The water sports centre has all usual things to hire, there is a five a side pitch where you can have a kick about, and the beach of course.

Other things to do that I'd recommend. Take the cruise boat from the harbour around the coast, they provide a great meat BBQ and local wine, and let you out for a swim at the lovely secluded bays. Have a drive out to the Akamas peninsula and the baths of Aphrodite. Don't hold up too much hope for being wowed at the 'baths', but you can have a great walk along the coast...take a camera! If you are confident at driving, and not scared of big drops, take a drive up to the monastery. A MUST... is to take a drive to near Lara, to visit Vaklari tavern/restaurant. A fantastic spot for a lunch or dinner, has to be seen to be believed. Best perhaps to book ahead though.

Enjoy.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latchi - A few questions

Thanks HeadBrewerEngland, Hudswell and SecretSizzler for your responses. Some great info that I'm sure will come in useful.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 20:35
Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latchi - A few questions

I'm in Latchi at the moment and I can confirm that there are plenty of supermarkets with a good choice of items. There is a largish supermarket in Polis called Papantonio which is open 7 days with a deli counter, bakery, butcher and fish counter.Prices are on a par with the UK l would say. Another one is in Podromi which is between Polis and Latchi on a corner which has excellent fruit and veg..the local dark cherries were gorgeous. Another one we used in Latchi is called Yiotis which sells everything from a toaster to a teabag! They are open until late...probably a wee bit more expensive think corner shop back home. We are finding that we are spending €50 a night including tip for a meal for two including drinks. Portions are good so we generally share a starter. Nicandro's at the harbour do a traditional Cypriot BBQ on a Thursday for €10 pp. A large beer is €2.50 - €3, glass of wine €3.50 or so. I don't think I would walk between Polis and Latchi it's not great underfoot and it's hot enough now...33 degrees with 38c tomorrow. We have a car and it's only about 10 minutes at most by car. Driving is easy...the roads are quiet up here and they drive on the left so even a chicken like me is happy to drive. We are really enjoying Latchi so I hope you will too!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 09:27
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latchi - A few questions

We are also in Latchi at the moment and loving it ( second time). I agree about the driving, my first time driving abroad and we' be been all around. We did walk to Polis last week along the beach path as we were going for a meal and drinks, but it was too hot, the walk back is OK as its cooler and downhill. When we go to Polis tomorrow we will get the last bus and walk back.

The supermarkets are as others have said, a little more expensive in Latchi. I think food shopping is generally expensive, although beer, wine etc are reasonable.

Eating out is costing us about 40 Euro for two mains and wine and a beer beforehand.

Very hot today!!!!!!!!

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latchi - A few questions

And it's to be hotter tomorrow! I forgot to say about Meze..Prices range from about €15 to €19 pp depending on whether it's meat or fish..We had a meat meze and had so much food so only go for it if you feel very hungry!!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latchi - A few questions

Haha, yes, we had a meze last night as we were really hungry, but still too much. Every year wherever we go we say to remember not to have another meze. The meat platter at Faros was lovely, a mini meze.

9. Re: Latchi - A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Latchi
Recent Conversations