We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Festival 2009

Devon
Level Contributor
36 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Festival 2009

I believe the wine festival takes place from 26 Aug 2009. We are holidaying on the island when the festival is on and hope to travel down for a night to experience it. We have lived in CYprus for many years and are returning after a few years away

A few questions for those that may live in Cyprus or have some details:-

Does the festival take place in the municipal park - I think thats where it used to be held?

Any idea of approx price to get in?

Can anyone recommend a clean, cheap apartment or hotel which is within walking distance - if festival is in the municipal park then a town centre hotel would be best we think? We only want a one night stay for 4 adults...maybe an apartment would fit the bill.

Finally, anyone know if Mahmouts Kebab House in Limassol is still a going concern...used to be a favourite amongst the british forces, just wondering if its still as good? Its on the Akrotiri side of town.

Help appreciated

lake district...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Festival 2009

It is in the park, entrances at both ends. Curium Palace hotel is at the top end of the park just off the roundabout.Nice hotel, lovely pool one of the oldest in Limassol but modernised 5 years ago.

Not sure of entrance fee or the kebab house, sorry.

There is an excellent kebab house just of the highway at Mesa Gitonia, still only 3.5 Euros for a huge sheftalia, chicken or souvlaki one.

Enjoy.

Devon
Level Contributor
36 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Great - many thanks for your help.

Curium Palace Hotel sounds just the job.

norfolk
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Mahmout's is still going strong with George at the helm. We were last there in May 08. You no longer dine outside at the back of the restaurant-too many cats. He has built a comfy terrace at the front. We were stationed at RAF Episkopi 71-74 and he still has the original jukebox from those days, listing the popular music from that time. George is a refugee from Famagusta where he had his own kebab house. When the Turkish owner of Mahmout's had to flee to the North in July 74, using good business acumen, they simply swopped businesses!George still does that fabulous shredded cabbage and the best sieftalia. Our only complaint is-no more kokkinelli available!He uses cheap, boxed red wine. He still closes on a Monday and his tel no is( Limassol) 25574892 if you are calling from Cyprus.

norfolk
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Festival 2009

More info: The Wine Festival is from 28 Aug-6 Sep, according to their website.Admission is 4.5 euros and this includes a free bottle of wine and one euro for the plastic bottle!

Mahmout's kebab house is through the old Turkish quarter passing the Keo factory on your left,then Ismet's(Britannia kebab house)which is now a function room, take a right turn,and you are there.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
787 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Don't consider the Curium Palace is for you are looking for a cheap apartment, it is a 5* hotel. There are some studio apartments by the old harbour, or the Kapetanios Hotel is a close by and I believe still open. Many of the smaller hotels have closed recently.

The Alassia is in town and is a 3* and could be walked to the wine festival but may seem a long way on return journey.

Jasmine Apartments, could be a good place.

Devon
Level Contributor
36 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Many Thanks

I was in Cyprus from 70 - 73 as a teenager - my Dad stationed at Akrotiri. We used to frequent the Brittania, however when I joined up and stationed out on the island for a few years we always went to Mahmouts if we were down in Limassol.

Happy days

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Chrielka apts are very nice but are right opposite the municipal park so i can't see you getting any sleep before everything winds down.

In addition to the Curium Palace (4*) and the Kapetanios (3*) hotels you may also consider Kanika Pantheon (3*).

They are good hotels but not very cheap. You can get better rates at other areas if a city hotel is not a must.

Devon
Level Contributor
36 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Festival 2009

Thanks to everyone. As there are 4 of us and we are only looking for a place to rest our weary heads after a night at the wine festival we have gone for a 2 bedded apartment - Lordos Hotel Apts. Been told they are not to far away and although basic will do the job.

9. Re: Wine Festival 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Limassol
Recent Conversations