We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water cut in Limassol

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Water cut in Limassol

I was told that the water is cut several times a day in Limassol. Is it true?

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water cut in Limassol

If this is true at the place you are staying, they will inform you. And if it is, don't worry because the tanks are always filled to make sure there is enough there for while the water is off. This is only because Cyprus has a water shortage and has to have water imported from Greece and other places.

When i was there last year, the water was 'off' between 7pm and 6am. But you still have water, they just ask you to not waste water, thats all :) It really doesn't make any difference at all. I've been back from Limassol for about 3 weeks now, and at the hotel i was at this year, they never turned the water off. :)

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water cut in Limassol

Cyprus is still in a drought situation after several years of low rain but a better (wetter) winter this year. There are still water cut offs for many areas but usually not in tourist hotel locations, Any way many places installed extra tanks to cover any lack of supplies. I do not think that there are any real problems for tourists. Plea is do not waste water.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,605 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water cut in Limassol

It is true that there is a water shortage in Cyprus. We were in Limassol a couple of weeks ago staying at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel and we didn't experience any cuts. However we went to lunch at the home of some Cypriot friends and they did not have any water the day we were there. They do have water deposit tanks so learn to spread it out to cover the days when they have no water. The hotel had an arrangement where you put a sign on the bed if you wanted your sheets changed and put your towels in the bath when you wanted clean ones rather than just automatically changing them every day in order to save water.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
787 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water cut in Limassol

Let us hope that there is plenty of snow this winter which would give a good amount of water for the dams.

The hotels do not get cuts, but everyone should be sensible and not waste water. For the Cypriot home dwellers it is a different story and they do get regular cuts but usually on a notified basis.

Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
342 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water cut in Limassol

New desalination plants are being constructed (already have 3 working). Hopefully this was the last summer with water cuts...

6. Re: Water cut in Limassol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Limassol
Recent Conversations