We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limassol - 2 questions

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Limassol - 2 questions

We arrive in Limassol on Friday and I have two questions:

1) Anyone have recent information on the Mediterranean Beach Hotel? Tripadvisor customer reviews seem to be bipolar - it's either the best or the worst hotel in Cyprus!

2) We want to do an ambitious all-day excursion on Saturday or Sunday to Paphos, Troodos Mountains including a winery (Platres?), the Kourion and Nicosia. Can this be done in a day with a driver, where can we hire a driver and will it be easier or more difficult to arrange on a weekend?

OK, I think that's actually 4 questions, but your help is appreciated.

GAM

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Limassol - 2 questions

I can not answer Q1.

I think that you should choose Kourion, Pathos, Winery or Kourion, Winery then Nicosia to try and include Pathos and Nicosia in the same trip will reduce any pleasure and probably not posible given opening hours and distances involved.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
257 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Limassol - 2 questions

I can't answer Q1 either.

Q2 is a little too ambitious. As the previous reviewer said, you can't do it all. Nicosia is in the opposite direction to Paphos from Limassol and in my opinion, requires 3/4 to one day. Also what do you mean by Troodos. There is quite a bit to see.

I would start off with Kourion since it is just outside Limassol, then drive past Aphrodites Rock to Paphos. In Paphos, visit the Archeological site, castle and Kato Paphos (since the arch. site is at the harbour of Kato Paphos). Fit in lunch somewhere before or after visiting the archeo. site. On the way back to Limassol, if there is time, pick out a wine making village somewhere not too far up the mountains. Most of the wine villages we saw/visited are on the higher slopes of the mountains. That means you have to spend quite some time, travelling along the winding roads to arrive there. On second thoughts, I would drop the winery and either visit Agios Neophytos (monastery) in Paphos or go to Pissouri Village on the way back for a glass of wine (very small place but cute).

If you do find that you have lots of time, then go up the Troodos Mountains to Omodhos.There you have a winery, nice village atmosphere, a place to eat good food and souvenir shops.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limassol - 2 questions

Re Q1, I'd say it depends on how "fussy" you are. If you get a good rate and are prepared to ignore a few shortcomings that the place may have, it's not a bad choice. I don't thing any 4* hotel in Limassol is perfect, anyway.

If on the other hand, you want everything just right, then it's either the Four Seasons or, maybe, the Amathus. Of course, we are talking of a different price league altogether.

Re Q2, I wouldn't recommend speeding from one end of Cyprus to the other. You could combine Paphos or Nicosia with a little bit of Troodos, but not all three areas.

On your way to or from Paphos, you can also visit Panagia tou Sinti monastery at Pentalia village (it's on the Nikoklia exit) which I haven't visited but I've been told it's beautiful or the Oleastro olive mill and museum at Anogyra village (Avdimou or Alektora exits). This way you'll see some small communities, too.

Another choice, and easy to get to, is the wine museum at Erimi.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limassol - 2 questions

You should spend two days then you will be able to see all you want, but even then time will be fairly limited.

I would suggest going up to Omodhos and visit a winery then on to Kykkos, going down Cedar Valley you could get through to Paphos. Have some time by the harbour then come back along the coastal road and see Rocks of Aphrodite and then Kourion and Kolossi. Don't plan in advance where you will eat go by when you see somewhere you fancy and the time is right. You could get a quote from Milano taxis who have a rank at the Mediterranean and could give you a good day out. I have always found their knowledge of the roads, and customs excellent.

Then on day 2 go by local bus to Nicosia. Bus leaves from stop nearly opposite the hotel, just before Golden Arches. Don't do Nicosia on a Sunday as most places will be closed.

Have a lovely time in Limassol. If you are free on the Sunday go up to Lophou (Lofou alternative spellings) where there are excellent tavernas in an attractive village.

5. Re: Limassol - 2 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 05:17