We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus transport in cyprus

Which Limassol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
norfolk
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bus transport in cyprus

I visit Cyprus regularly, normally Limassol, and don't plan to hire a car during my next visit. Cypriot friends say that because I am over 60, in receipt of a uk pension and have a uk bus pass, I will be entitled to travel free in Cyprus.Is there any truth in this? I am aware that the bus fare in Limassol is only 1.5 euros each way, but I know that I will be quizzed by my Cypriot friends on my next visit.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus transport in cyprus

Hi, I have not heard this one before, I have tried to find some information on the internet,and cannot find anything. I would suggest that you contract the bus company,or the cyprus tourist info office.Julie

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus transport in cyprus

Hi

I think you have been mis-informed as Cyprus does not have a national public transport system as yet although there are plans to introduce one in the coming years.

every bus company is privately owned and it is mainly tourists and immigrant workers who use a lot of the buses. most local pensioners, and the general population of cyprus would drive. so I don't think this is acurate. It certainly doesn't apply to the buses in ayia napa /protaras area where I live so unless its something exclusive to limassol pensioners I think you'll have to pay.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus transport in cyprus

I think CyprusSeaview is right, although you could try logging on to the,

Expats forum Cyprus and see if any one there knows something we dont,if you find any info on this please let us know.Julie

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus transport in cyprus

Hi, as barkinmad has said unfortunately i do not think that there is any discount for the over 60's on the "public" transport here. Having said that if you are planning to use the bus a lot during your stay it might be worth buying a bus card- you can get these at the Limassol bus station (last stop if you take the No 6 bus from the sea road into town), they are normally valid for a month but as you know you pay a flat fee for every journey so if you use the bus a lot it could well work out cheaper. For more info you can contact the Limassol bus station on Tel: 25 370592 or 25 354050 or check out the below link on angloinfo: …angloinfo.com/information/…urbanbus

norfolk
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus transport in cyprus

Thank you all for your replies. I will do more research. I used the bus in Limassol a few times last October and was intrigued when I saw so many elderly people getting on the bus without paying. Some showed a pass(monthly pass perhaps?) but many didn't show anything, nor did they pay.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus transport in cyprus

Probably friends of the driver!

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus transport in cyprus

or regulars on the route who haven't bothered getting their passes out, just like on local routes over in the uk.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus transport in cyprus

You may not get your bus pass, but do you know you can get a free eye test,and your glasses will be a lot cheaper in Cyprus.Same with dentists I had a tooth fixed in Larnaca half the price of the uk. take your EHIC card.

Paphos
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: bus transport in cyprus

One can get free bus pass card in Cyprus, must be 63+, evidence of pension, identity, electricity bill to prove address, get application from Cypriot Insurance Office which will send it to Nicosia with all evidence and the card is posted to the applicant, takes about 3 to 4 weeks.

JK

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus transport in cyprus

that is handy for people to know .do they have to reside in Cyprus.