We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from North to South Cyprus

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from North to South Cyprus

We are intending meeting family in Limassol. We live in Turkey and will fly into Ercan. Can we hire a car to travel to Limassol? Is there public transport available? Any taxi companies, etc, to travel the 40 miles?

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from North to South Cyprus

A hesitant reply, I assume you hold an EU passport. The Republic of Cyprus does not recognize any entry point in the North as legitimate and if the authorities realise that is how you initially entered then you are very likely to be in trouble and would be refused entry. The legal way I understand is to fly from Turkey to say Athens and the fly into Larnaca or Pathos.

I understand that hire cars from the North can not cross to the South, taxis do cross but I do not know what level of examination you will be given at the crossing and I suspect that if you walk across with suitcases then you may well be questioned. Perhaps someone will be able to give better information and quantify the risks involved.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from North to South Cyprus

Again very hesitant answer but only today a work colleague has overheard me talking about planning a holiday and is going to let me have information on her appartment in north cypus and says that the borders are now well and truly open? When she travels over though tends to go from South to North.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from North to South Cyprus

I recently travelled from Paphos to Ercan airport and then flew to Istanbul (as many people do for holidays). Although my passport wasn't stamped at the crossing, it was at Ercan, and Istanbul where a visa was attached. So, on my return journey, at the crossing it was obvious that I had left the island via the TRNC but it didn't cause any comment or problem.

Re transport - you should be able to get a taxi all the way, or take a taxi to the crossing, cross on foot, and then take public transport to Limassol.

Regards

Trisha

Edited: 09 June 2011, 19:55
4. Re: travelling from North to South Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Limassol
Recent Conversations