We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Topic
Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

We have stayed in Cyprus at Paphos before and fancied another week in relative sunshine before returning to our British winter but wanted to stay somewhere different. I know Limassol has an old town - is this very interesting? We are thinking of staying at the Amathus and treating ourselves a bit - would we have far to walk to a place with other bars and a bit of nightlife? We don't like to stay out too late but a few drinks where there is a bit of a local buzz would be nice if you can give me a idea of the lay out of Limassol.

Thank you.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

post script. I can now see that Limassol looks massive. I wouldn't mind a smaller resort but the smaller resorts aren't going to have the 5 star hotels are they?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Hi jean-s

You are right Limassol is pretty big. The coast road is about 16k long going from the old town through the tourist area then the Amathus area where you will find the Amathus Beach and Four Seasons hotels gradually getting quieter until you reach Le Meridian hotel.

If you stay at the Amathus you will be approximately 10k from the old town. In the immediate area of the hotel are one or two nice restaurants and bars etc. You can also use the other hotel bars and restaurants such as the ones at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel which is four star but very good.

The old town is nice with some good restaurants and the castle area has a nice atmosphere especially in the evenings. The castle itself is worth a visit. I am not sure what in the way of culture you are looking for but there are a few archaeological sites in and not far from Limassol such as the Amathus ruins and Kourion. If you are looking for cultural entertainment this can be found in Limassol and I have regular updates from a website which I could pass on.

You are right that there are good five star hotels in Limassol and also in Paphos where you have already been. We went to a very nice five star hotel in Pissouri called Columbia Beach Resort but there is not all that much culture in Pissouri itself but again plenty nearby.

If you do decide to stay in LImassol you can travel to the old town by bus, the number 30 runs the whole way along the road.

Have a look under Limassol tourism in the green panel on the left of this page. This and the things to do section may help you decide if there is enough of what you would like in Limassol.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 18:15
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

thanks Twigs. I just like medieval/old streets, churches, museums and established local restaurants. It looks like I am going to have to make a choice between the old town with its culture or a luxury hotel! Or maybe we would be better in the Northern parts? There seems to be quite a few luxury hotels in Kyrenia. Not that tripadvisor is letting me view them on a map - which is annoying.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Hi, if you , Stay in the Amathuas , There are two nice bars right across the road, The Old Tomb, and Just George, also a few Restraunts along that little Strip.

A little further down near the med beach four seasons area. there is a good selection of bars-restraunts. Plenty there to keep you going for a week with a buzz..

A little further to the east of the Amathuas, there is the Amathuas ruins, near the Alantica bay hotel.

You could also take a visit to Klossi castle, 9km west of Limassol .Julie

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Hi again jean.

It is really quite easy to get to the old town from the Amathus area. It is just one straight road and the buses are now quite modern and I find the journey reasonably quick.

We always think you have the best of both worlds if you stay in the Amathus area. The Amathus is a lovely hotel.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Best off all bus fare only, 2. euro all day 10 for a week.if you stay in your luxury hotel, as twigs has stated you can have the best of both.Julie

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated. When I first saw the maps and saw how close the hotel was to 2 parts of the harbour I thought there would bound to be bars and restaurants but maybe the harbours aren't those cute scenic ones if Limassol is so big???

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

No I don't think you would describe them as cute and scenic. There is a new posh marina being built at present which promises to be very exclusive with houses and apartments with private moorings.

There are plenty of old streets to wander around and churches to visit. There are also some good established restaurants. One of these up in the old town is Aliada which is situated in a lovely old house and garden.

Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

Hi, There is a nice marina next to the San Raphael hotel, if you choose the Amathus there is a coast path you can follow to get to it. or take the number 30 bus only about 3 bus stops.

have a look discoverlimassol.com

Julie

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there much to see in Limassol for a culture vulture?

You should also consider a daily visit to Nicosia, only one hour away with several bus connections. The venetian wall, archaeological, byzantine and leventeio museum and st john´s cathedral are only a few of the must see places. Based on what you like, I believe you will be fascinated of what you will find in Nicosia...

Get answers to your questions about Limassol
Recent Conversations