We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money problems with cyprus and the euro

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
money problems with cyprus and the euro

I was wondering if the problems with the banking and the euro is having any knock on problems with the hotels etc , if the banks are closed or only letting every person get a max of 300 euros out a day will this not be a problem with food supplies drink etc etc

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

I am not sure kevindunn but I can only say that I have had an email from one of the hotels and from Cyplon Travel stating it is business as usual. I am sure they are worried that people won't go in the current climate and are trying to be reassuring.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

The limit for commercial/ Business etc purposes is not EUR 300! I cannot recall the limits but with proper justification money transfers and payments are allowed. This might be sort of time consuming for big amounts ( Central Bank said that they will need 1 day to give an approval, but I am not sure how and if it works) however it allows for business to go on.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

Morever I would like to confirm that so far, we did not have any issues with supplies at the Supermarkets ( or at least at the Supermarkets where I do my shopping!)

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

You will be helping Cyprus by going and buying a few drinks and food out in nearby places as well as your hotel.

The Cypriots have a hard time ahead but they will still be more welcoming to visitors who are bringing in some work to the island.

Greenhithe, Kent...
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

There was a lot of hype in the Media / Newpapers articles that alarmed people planning their holidays to Cyprus. I have contacts in Pafos and Protaras so hearing lots of reports.Pafos was more effected I think from what I have been told as more tourists earlier in the season there and lots of ex pats in the villages around.

Other reports say lots of provision already in the country as of fuel too.

The business people now have access to funds if they have any euros! So can stock up

and replemish their selves in the stores.

They need support from the visiting tourists.

Beaches and bars and restaurants are gettiing ready. Sunshine is out!

Dawn x

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

We are booked into the Atlantica bay hotel for 2 weeks from the 15th of may and looking forward to are stay its been over twenty years since the last time I visited Cyprus

7. Re: money problems with cyprus and the euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:16