We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicosia Top Tips

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nicosia Top Tips

My husband, 3 year old daughter and myself will be making a day trip from Paphos to Nicosia during our holiday next month. We'd like to cross the border to Northern Nicosia for half a day.

Can anyone advise on the best way to get some Turkish Lire for our 'flying visit'? Also, where would you recommend for crafts/authentic Turkish homeware/ornaments? Finally, where can we catch the tourist train? My daughter would enjoy the ride!

Many thanks in advance.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

You don't need Turkish lira, just take euros. Everyone accepts them and will give you change in euros too. Prices are quoted in Turkish lira and euros. Most signs are in Turkish, English and Greek. Remember you need your passports to cross to the occupied side.

We didn't see any decent ornaments whilst there - most of what was on sale was cheap tat, plastic trays, bellydancing costumes etc. We saw some nice ceramic bowls, there were also loads of nargiles (Turkish water pipes) on sale, but not sure of the quality as we didn't look at them too closely. If you're looking for cheap (fake?) bags and clothes, you will be spoilt for choice.

The tourist train is in the Greek Cypriot side of Lefkosia. I believe it departs from Freedom Square (Plateia Eleftherias) at the south end of Ledra Street.

Edited: 26 September 2010, 00:11
Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

I would suggest the Buyuk Han (Big Inn) as a possible area as it does have a variety of more "studio" type little shops. Once you cross you continue north for about 100 metres and then head off to your right through the narrow bazaar streets, there are maps around and signs, it is an impressive large square building (1572) that surrounds a big courtyard. Within there is also a restaurant.

For the crossing usually the police/customs post on the South take little interest, sometimes they look at your passport and check bags on your return.

At the North you have to fill a small white Visa form (have biro ready usually there are none) hand it and passport to official in booth, the visa is stamped and returned with the passport. Both must be presented when leaving and the visa is stamped again. This visa form can be kept and used again.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

Thank you both for all the info - as you may have guessed, I'm one of life's planners!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the little train Salalei, as my daughter will love it. Buyuk Han sounds right up our street Fred so we'll definitely be heading there.

I read in Lonely Planet that the hamman in the north was closed for restoration. Do either of you know if it's reopened yet? I'd like to do a tour to see the architecture.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

whatson-northcyprus.com/interest/nicosia/nor… but it does not say it is finished and give Cypriot builders, just like their UK equivalents?

If visibility is good the top floor of the Debenham's building on Ledra Street gives a circular view of the whole city.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

Thanks for the link Fred. Good tip about the view from Debenhams.

6. Re: Nicosia Top Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 05:20