We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ledra street crossing

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ledra street crossing

Is it now possible to walk across the border at Ledra Street, (is this the only crossing point) in Nicosia.

We are stopping in Paphos in June and will be visiting Nicosia for the day.

What documents due you need (passport etc.) to walk across

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ledra street crossing

It's not the only crossing point into the occupied north, but it's the most convenient one if you're on foot.

Bring your passport with you, you'll also need to get a visa at the border. The process is quick and simple, it should take less than 5 mins.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ledra street crossing

And be prepared for a slight culture shock when you cross - very Turkish. Personally I didn't like it - can't stand the tension of not being able to look in a shop without being hassled to buy something.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ledra street crossing

True. We were very happy to return to Ledra Street after our short stay north of the border.

Maddiston Falkirk
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ledra street crossing

Hi further to your comment about hassling people, TRNC is a lovely country with lovely friendly people. I have been holidaying in the North for the past 6 years. I am planning to holiday in Paphos in the summer after my weeks holiday in Lapta with fantastic friends.

If you open you eyes and mind and travel a little further from Nicosia, you will find a beautiful fascinating country.

I do not comment on the political situation as there were wrongs on both sides.

Edited: 12 February 2011, 14:59
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ledra street crossing

Tinsey,

please understand that TNRC has its own culture. I believe it is fine that you do not like it, but when you refer to it as the occupied north, it implies that it is not a legitimaate country...

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ledra street crossing

The so-called TRNC is NOT a legitimate country. It's not recognised by any other country in the world except Turkey, who incidentally are the country responsible for the occupation of northern Cyprus.

Save the history lesson for someone who doesn't know what's what. Please.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ledra street crossing

Hi,

We walked across the Ledra crossing last Sept, as part of a day trip thru Thomson.

Wished we'd had more time to explore (have been to Turkey so wasn't a culture shock) but we did enjoy the bits we saw.

Photos:

NICOSIA

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Regards

8. Re: Ledra street crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 12:15