We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in restaurants

Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in restaurants

What is the general policy regarding smoking in restaurants etc? Is it possible to find non-smoking areas?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in restaurants

In Cyprus you have to accept smoking is part of their culture. They don't yet have a nanny state like us. They even smoke in taxis. Doesn't bother me because there is so much open air dining and the British have had it hammered into them that it is so anti social to smoke. I noticed most tourists were very discreet about smoking and didn't light up in the presence of people eating or if there are children about. There are no smoking areas in touristy restuarants but don't expect to go to a typical village taverna and expect the residents to put their ciggies out because they won't - they will probably offer you one instead!

Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Thanks for that Kath. I rather suspected that was the case.

Unfortunately as we go to Cyprus next week, we will probably have to eat inside as it will be too cold to eat outside.

What a shame Cyprus hasn't got a nanny state. As a mother of two young children and the wife of someone who has just finished treatment for throat cancer (as a non-smoker, most likely caused by passive smoking), I am understandably grateful for any legislation that protects me!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Things are changing... "Although rarely implemented, this is not the first time authorities have enforced the island’s stringent smoking laws, which bans smoking in all public buildings and vehicles, including restaurants, government offices, clubs, bars, coffee shops, buses and taxis. Smoking is also illegal in private cars if passengers are under the age of 16. "

from www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php…

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Plodder - Hopefully the weather will be mild enough in early April for you to sit outside in the evening for meals.

On previous holidays we have been offered the choice of smoking or non in some restaurants we have visited, presumably for the benefit of the British and other European tourists who have been afforded the luxury/basic human right of a healthy atmosphere in their home country.

However, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have never noticed an overly smoky atmosphere in any restaurant I have eaten in, perhaps because they have extractors to take away the smoke. Then again I probably haven’t been as “tuned in” to it as you.

I hope this doesn’t spoil your holiday and I wish hubby a healthy future.

Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Angel9

Thanks for the link.

Karen1967

Secretly I'm hoping it will be warm enough to sit outside but I'm not sure. I'm currently checking out various weather forecasts and obviously only "believe" the best one!

We were in Paphos (well just outside) about three years ago but never ate inside anywhere so cannot even hazzard a guess as to where would be good. If all else fails we'll hang on to the menus and fan them in a light hearted way !

CYPRUS
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in restaurants

the law has now come to Cyprus. The restaurants and cafes are obligated to offer non-smoking & smoking areas with the smoking areas to have enough ventilation. Some places the smoking areas are separated from the smoke free by glass as well.

More and more areas are becoming smoke free. A good number of hotels offer non-smoking rooms. (there is nothing worse than sleeping in stale smoke)

It would be within your rights to demand a non-smoking place.

7. Re: Smoking in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Paphos