We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metaxa *****

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Metaxa *****

Off next week - been asked to bring back some Metaxa brandy - the good stuff not the unleaded ! Not really a shopper on holiday (- more of a consumer )- so wheres the best place (ie cheapest) to buy? Airport - or one of the larger Paphos stores on the way back to the airport ?

Many thanks for any advice.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
769 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metaxa *****

ChrissieH,

What me and the missus do is price up what the drinks would cost us in UK, then check them against the price of the drinks abroad. If they are cheaper than we buy them, if you wait until you get to the airport you can be forced into buying overpriced goods as the shops know they are your last buys before you go home. So if you can get a bottle of Metaxa from Paphos for £10 and it costs £15 in Tesco I know what I would do. Even if the airport is cheaper it will only be £1 or £2 at the most.

Hope this helps!!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metaxa *****

We got back three weeks ago… I asked the owner of the villa we rented which was the cheapest ,supermarket or airport & he said "no difference" when leaving we found in some cases the airport was a little cheaper

London
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metaxa *****

Just remember another thing if you purchase a bottle of Metaxa in a supermarket it will have to be packed in your checked baggage as liquid rules going through security apply in Cyprus as well as UK.

So it will probably be safer to purchase at aiport.

staffs
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metaxa *****

Just returned from paphos bought a litre of 5 star metaxa from the airport for 7 cypriot pounds.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metaxa *****

Thanks - had forgotten about the 'liquid' rules!

Thanks for input

6. Re: Metaxa *****

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 22:19