We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are beaches safe

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
are beaches safe

just wondering if the beaches are safe for kids there will always b my hubby or myself with them,my kids will kill me if they hear me calling them kids they re teenagers as they inform me (13 and 15)

Also is it safe enough for my nearly 16 year old daughter 2 go out 4 a coffee by herself during the day

this is our 1 st time to cyprus

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are beaches safe

Hi,

Are you concerned cos of discussions on the Sharm forum? When we were there (Paphos) last July, I never saw anything within the areas where we travelled to make me feel uneasy or think that it wouldn't be safe in the context in which you descibe. So long as you know where she's going (just as you would in the UK) & know the time limits, I think you / they will be fine.

Have you a couple of spare handsets? Get a couple of local sims (easy to do, like in Sharm) & give one to the kids...sorry teenagers. That way you can keep tabs on them & the coffee shop & they will feel like you have given them some space.

Mine are lads, so it's hard for me to know what it must be like to have girls, but I have friends who do, plus I've had unwelcome attention in various countries. I'd say take the same precautions as the UK.

Regards

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are beaches safe

thanks, no it was just a general question was nt aware of discuusions on the forum,it is difficult to know how much freedom to give 2 teenagers i tend to be abit over protective or so im told lol

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are beaches safe

Where are you staying ?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are beaches safe

By and large Cypriot men and young men are very respectful. They are also very good looking! Obviously a stunning looking young lady is going to turn heads but provided she takes the same sensible precautions as she would at home she will be OK. Girls are a worry for some reason but do as the other post suggests and provide a mobile so you can discreetly keep tabs.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are beaches safe

thanks for the info,were privately renting at kings apartments

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are beaches safe

Hi Benji55 -

Cyprus is really safe for the teenagers. Every year I take my kids at least once when I go, well they are actually 20 & 22 now (still my kids in my head), as well as my neices aged 17, 19 and nephew 14. They have been coming for a few years and I can honestly say they disappear off all day, sometimes to the beach or just to sit by the harbour and watch the world go by. They go to explore the tombs and mosaics, caves, or just to the shops, and sometimes don't return until dinnertime. As they became older they wanted to go to Bar st etc alone at night and I was terrified. However they began by going off on their own and meeting us later, then as they have got older go alone. I never worry about them when we are in Paphos, I feel they are safer there than in this country. Do not worry, they will be fine.

The beaches are quite small, but the bathing is safe around Paphos and although Coral Bay has a large sandy beach it can be dangerous with undercurrents and people have drowned there in the past. You could visit the beach by the lighthouse or if you have a car, Curium Beach, also Corallia Beach just further up from Coral Bay, Lara Bay, Pissouri, and Latchi.

Hope this reassures you.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are beaches safe

thanks im really looking forward 2 it

8. Re: are beaches safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Paphos
Recent Conversations