We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorks
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Just back from a week in Paphos and found it generally very expensive and poor value. Appreciate the pound to euro is really poor however, where else would you pay 25 euros for a steak in a tourist resort? We know about the deals available giving 3 courses for 10 euros in a few places and that's fine now and again but can be very restrictive if it is all you choose.

Paphos is deserted just now and I'm not surprised when bars, restaurants and supermarkets are cashing in on tourists to such an extent - 3 euros for a cup of bloomin' Nescafe.....please!!

Beautiful island, lovely people all spoilt by apparent greediness. For two people - typical lunch 25-30 euros, dinner - 60 euros (with a G&T and coffee) Two Gins one tonic costing 10euros and UK measures at that ....and when we splashed out for one of those 25 euro fillet steaks and a bottle of 19 euro local rose wine, we ended up spending 88 euros for what turned out to be a piece of "scrag end" (or at least looked/tasted like it) no way was it fillet steak.

Shame, shame, shame - as I said lovely island but no more for me - hate feeling ripped off!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Yes we all have our opinions, it would be a boring old world if we were all the same! Have a good Easter Leica.

lake district...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

iocasti, thank you. I hope you enjoy your Easter also,

regards.

Oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

I am from USA and friend's son getting married 16JUNE at Athena Beach.It was a real trek to get there and of course in reading these posts,I realize I was not well-informed before booking flights. So we have car booked[prepaid] and it sounds like if we go away frrn harbour..we will be OK?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

The harbour is beautiful and definately not to be avoided. However, the restaurants do tend to charge a slight premium for the location. I pay €3 for coffee there. I would expect to pay around that in any city or tourist destination. A sandwich or snack might seem costly, but it will come piled high with fries and salad. You will find "set price" menus in most places.

Coming from the US, you would probably find most anywhere in Europe pricey. But shop around before you decide where to eat and drink. Keep any eye on the incidentals like alcoholic drinks and bottled water. Most of all - enjoy this beautiful island and it's people!

Happy travels

Pat

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

The most important question is how much is a Keo in the Supermarkets?!

I am off for 3 weeks in June in a Villa and we are planning on just eating in most of the time with the BBQ. The odd night we will have a meal out at say Sienna and Secret Valley golf course.

We also go to a nice little place near Peyia Town Hall for brunch as was reasonable.

Any help with the Keo question will be a big help!!!

7 weeks on Wednesday we go and can't blooming wait. Trying to take as close to £1000 as possible for spends due to the increase in prices.

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
321 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

KEO should be around 1 euro per 500ml can

Bradford, West...
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Ahhhhh that is music to my ears! Thanks a lot for that. You can't beat a large ice cold Keo in the sunshine. In fact you can't be 10 of them to be honest!!!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
933 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Has anyone been to Polis lately ? Are the prices as high like they are in Paphos  ??  Im having serious doubts about going now after reading some of the other posts.....I was planing on eating out once a Day and cooking other meals in our appartment, but it sounds like the supermarkets are very expensive...Are there any locals out there that can advise ??

Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Can only write re a trip to Polis in october 2008- it was fairly quiet, lots of offers outside the tavernas for set menus or specials etc. We ate - shared starter, 2 main course i.e. swordfish and pork chop, plus litre of wine and water for around 28-30 Euros. Our favourite was Karouzis - just head 2 minutes down the raod towards campsite, past medical centre. Some of this years visitors can hopefully update you.

We tend to snack at lunchtime-feta, tomatoes, grapes - there is a small 'market' type shop which sold fresh veg, eggs etc. Been 3 times and first time we had stumbled on it ! There is also a large supermarket in Polis. (We ate out in Derbyshire at the weekend - the cheapest bottle of wine on the pub menu was £13 !) Enjoy your trip.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
933 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Significant amounts of dosh essential to holiday in Cyprus!

Thanks for that....

How close is Polis to a sandy beach as i understand the ones around Polis are pebbles and rocks ??

I really like the look of this area but my wife likes a sandy beach , i would easily travel a short distance as we will probably hire a scooter...

We cant make up our mind on which area to go to and we certainly dont like paying over inflated prices...

is it Polis or Paphos ???

Please help me make my decision !!