We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paphos in january

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
paphos in january

hi we are going to the athena beach hotel during the first week of january....first visit to cyprus..... will it be warm or do we need rainwear......is it worth upgrading our room.....is the breakfast as good as it sounds....... any tips to make our stay extra enjoyable......we are recently retired........thank you

newcastle
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paphos in january

Hi great choice of hotel - you get bathrobe / slippers, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, iron/ironing board - in all of the rooms. There is an outdoor heated pool and a bowls area if you fancy being energetic. We have been in January and you need a light coat for evening and we did get 1 day of rain but most of the week was like a pleasant summers day in uk.

The food at the hotel is one of the best we have been to, the selection of food is amazing. As there wont be many restaurants open in January it would be worth having you evening meal at the hotel on some of the nights (its around 16/17 euros)

Any other questions about the hotel I would be happy to help you with.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paphos in january

The weather in January can vary greatly so I would go prepared for anything. You may be lucky as cazza obviously was but it is the most wintery month of the year. The days are short and the evenings chilly. If you are lucky you can get sun from fairly early on until about 2pm. It can be chilly in the shade and there is a risk of wind and rain. Having said all that it is much better than here and we love going in the winter because any sunshine you get feels like a real bonus. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: paphos in january

As said Cyprus does have a winter but the daylight is actually longer than in UK at that time of year. The weather can be very variable with chances of rain but that does not usually persist for days as in UK (memory says), the sun can be hot particularly in sheltered areas as the wind can be chilly. I have even seen people swimming in the sea. All in all better than in UK with the possibility of snow skiing on top of Troodos and sunbathing at the coast all on the same day. So T shirts and shorts to a warm jacket and trousers via a waterproof as well (I tend to use a medium fleece that can zip into a waterproof jacket to match all needs within a day).

Even living up on Troodos it will possible to be sitting outside during the day but then lighting the wood stove for the evening.

Consider hiring a car as there is much to see but public transport is limited, driving is on the left as in UK.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: paphos in january

Again I have to agree with Twigs and Fred but the first week in jan should be fine the cold weather kicks in the 3rd week of January but Cyprus is no different with the unpredictable weather then anywhee else.

During the day the temp's could be in the 60's which is very good so shorts and T-shirts are a must with a fleece waterproof during the evening. The Athena is a very good hotel one of my favourites

Have a good one

Kev

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: paphos in january

thank yout all for your help really looking forward to my hols now

6. Re: paphos in january

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 05:18