We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paphos Cats

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Paphos Cats

Love them or hate them, Paphos is infested with stray cats and also cats that belong to the complexes. You can tell the ones that belong to someone as they have a little triangle clipped out of their ear, meaning they are looked after, spayed or neutered. The cats are so so so very lovely but if you are allergic to their fleas please make sure you bring antibiotics, antihistamines and eat marmite!!!!! It hasn't stopped me going back. I have been to Paphos 7 times in the last two years and will keep going back, but I get seriously affected by the fleas. Don't let this spoil your trip, just be prepared.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
439 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paphos Cats

After being in and out of Paphos for the past 20 or so year I can safely say you are exaggerating way too much...

"Paphos infected with stray cats" can't be further than the reality.

Maybe your allergy blurs your perception of reality and vision, so it's not really your fault.

Bansko, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah, Bansko
Level Contributor
921 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paphos Cats

Having just spent 6 weeks in Paphos, all the cats I encountered belonged to the restaurants and bars. Your comment "Paphos is infested" is a huge exaggeration as Arkanoid says and hopefully it won't put off any would be Paphos holiday makers.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paphos Cats

Paphos could do with being infested by tourists!

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paphos Cats

Maybe some feel I am exaggerating but I am most certainly not saying don't go there. Most people are really lucky that if they are bitten by cat fleas they have no reaction. I feel so very sad about the cats there to be honest. I spent two weeks of my last holiday feeding three kittens that were dumped in a drain but became friendly with holiday makers around our apartments. The animal shelter just up the road from Alexander the Great Hotel may have a similar opinion to me and its very very sad. I LOVE Paphos. I am not trying to put people off. In fact, I would most certainly say that it is one of the most fabulous places to go and I will go again and again. I love the people there, I love the food, I love the ambience. Just very sad about the cats:-

http://www.cyprusanimalwelfare.org/

lancs
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paphos Cats

Please God ,Pioneer Beach is not infested with cats, as I am allergic to them and have booked to go for 2 weeks very soon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paphos Cats

Pioneer Beach is at the other end of Kato (a little quieter although a very short trip to the main part of Kato so you won't think you have got yourself stuck out in the desert - just perfect location). Lovely complex, warm friendly staff, gorgeous food, it's clean - and they control the couple of "resident" cats there which you would be hard pushed to spot. They discourage guests from feeding any stray cats (no food? they go nearer the main town) and keep the place really good. Enjoy

lancs
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paphos Cats

Many thanks for your reply. I feel a lot happier now.

Sue

kelvedon
Level Contributor
171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paphos Cats

Bit of an exaggeration about the cats!!!! yes they are about, but 9 times out of 10 the feral cats don't go near people, and you certainly don't see any mess from them...i'd rather have cats than the infestation of cockroaches,ants or reptiles you get in some countries.

Go and enjoy your holiday, its a beautiful country, with beautiful people.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paphos Cats

Trust me, cats in Paphos are not an issue.... try some places in Asia if you want to see a real example of feline 'infestation' ;-)

On my recent visit to Paphos I stayed at the Hotel Aloe which has in the past attracted complaint due to the numbers of cats in and around the hotel's grounds. But I have to say though, these complaints are greatly exaggerated and unwarranted. There were two cats that seemed to be in permanent residence at the front entrance, which if truth were told, added to the charm of the place. Out back in the area used for breakfast there were three others that greeted the guests each morning. Not once did I see any of these cats enter the indoor part of the restaurant, jump up onto a table or bother a guest in any way while they were eating... I'm not sure if they have been trained or are just disinterested in that oh so cat like way that they have?

As for the cats out on the streets, a lot of visitors used to seeing our overfed and pampered domestic pets are often alarmed by the skinny Paphos variety. I've lost count of the numbers of times I've seen quickly penned notices attached to walls and fences pleading with passers-by to feed them because the poor author has had to return home after their holiday (largely spent feeding the animals by all account). My advice is don't!

These cats are the size they are because they are adapted to life on the streets. Over feeding them, combined with the heat, will make them unable to compete with others for food or make them vulnerable to other predators. You also risk a potential holiday spoiling scratch or bite... rabies ain't worth it. Stay away from them, they've happily survived 5,000 years without a holiday-maker's leftover breakfast sausage.

Like I said though, the cats aren't a problem in Paphos, if anything they add to the charm of the place. But leave them alone and enjoy your holiday instead... or volunteer to work for a cat charity next year if you really must concern yourself with their welfare.

John.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
439 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paphos Cats

Oldest known pet of entire history was a cat found in a 9500!!! year old burial in Cyprus. (source: National Geographic).

Also Emperor Constantine (his mother actually, St Helen) had a great number of cats sent to Cyprus in 328 AD to control the snake population, so basically, it;s either cats or snakes in Cyprus, you choose.