We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little bit of advice please

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
A little bit of advice please

Hello there,

We are having our honeymoon in Paphos and having never been there before we are hoping that you would take a couple of minutes to be good enough to help us out.

We are staying at Capital Coast, which I'm told is near ToTK's.

Car hire - Any recommendations of a good company which won't rip us off with hidden extra's, and a fair price to boot?

Would it be cost effective to get a taxi from the airport to hotel then source a car or pre-book to collect at airport on arrival?

Currency - We can get 1.19 Euro to the £ over here at present, would we be better off changing money when we get there?

Restaurants - Any recommendations for some special nights out?.......don't mind driving a short distance.

Thanks for taking time to read this and if you can answer any of the above we would be grateful.

Cheers

Mick

north west england
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little bit of advice please

We've booked a car for the whole holiday, picking it up at the airport. Means you save the taxi fares to and from the airport but, of course, is only worth doing if you want access to a car for the whole of the stay. We getting ours through Economy Car Hire who are agents for a number of other companies (you don;t knwo which one your car is actually coming from until you pay at the end of the online booking).

For currency, we usually just take a small amount of euros and then use our debit card at ATMs.

For restaurant reviews, check out that part of TripAdvisor. I also find the Paphos Eating site to be very good for reviews - http://www.paphos-eating.com/. I always hesitate to make recommendations to other people - my tastes may not be your tastes.

John

Bansko, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah, Bansko
Level Contributor
947 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little bit of advice please

Firstly, congratulations!

Capital Coast is walking distance (or short bus ride) to TOTK's and there's a few bars/restuarants also located aong the road from Capital Coast towards Tomb Kings.

There's an abundance of car hire companies, www.cy-breeze.com.cy have an office on Tomb Kings and will also deliver to the airport or your hotel. It's always worth getting an idea of cost from them and then you can compare if it's worth having the convenience of a car for the duration or not.

The exchange rate varies, but was 1.17 last week. As suggested you can use your ATM card for Euros (beware that some of the machines are empty of cash by Saturday evenings)!

Restaurants vary greatly, my favourites on TOTK are: Dias Zeus, Duomo and San Marino. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations from others.

Am happy to give any advice, please just ask.

Fiona

Paphos
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little bit of advice please

HI,

Regarding car hire and taxi from the airport. I would definitely book your car hire in advance and not use taxis if at all possible.

Taxi drivers in this area are a law unto themselves. Particularly those at the airport. Known coequally as the "Paphos Taxi Mafia"

They rarely use the meter and tend to charge high prices.

A good place to start your car hire search may be holidayautos.com

These are a broker who use all the major hire companies and generally get lower prices than you can get elsewhere. It is also an all inclusive price so no shocks when you get to the airport.

Another trick some of the car hire companies tend to get up to here is to charge you for a tank of fuel at higher than pump prices.

They tell you the car is full (it may be) and ask you to bring it back empty. They then add the cost of a tank of fuel to your bill.

It's better, generally, to tell them you will bring it back full but beware there are NO FILLING STATIONS at the airport. and if you use the motorway from Paphos you will not pass any.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 16:46
north west england
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little bit of advice please

Indeed, the "take full, return empty" is now commonplace the world over for car rental and this is usually included in the contract details. Of course it means that you are always charged for the full tank but because no-one ever returns it absolutely empty, the company makes a little each time. Such is life.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little bit of advice please

Cheers for replies.

I ended up going with www.economycarhire.com there is a 10% online discount code available if anyone else wants to use this company, it is AHWGCD.

I got a Micra(or similar) with A/C, it cost £125 for the week with two drivers and fully comp. insurance, NO EXCESS, 1/2 tank of fuel(to pay when we get there I think) and it must come back empty.

Looking forwrad to getting there next Wednesday now, anyone goy any experience of Capital Coast Hotel?

Cheers

Mick

Paphos, Cyprus
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A little bit of advice please

Best way is to hire a car and forget about the taxi. Taxi is soooo expensive in Cyprus with luggages and all. And you'll get so much more out of Cyprus if you have a car. I would suggest that you go one day to Troodos Mountains and visit this beautifull village called Platres. Amazingly green, water falls, fresh fruits etc. It's an old village with narrow streets and amazing restaurant called Lido in the old part of village. More tips what to do and see on your honeymoon: www.cyprusguestbook.com

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A little bit of advice please

Hi Mikesneph,

We're due to go in 6 weeks, have booked flights but not accommodation yet, and capital coast is top of our list, so would be very interested to hear what you think of it (although we'll prob have booked by then). Which package did you go for? HB? B&B? S/C? What room type? Ours will be a sort of honeymoon... got married in May and had a short break then and meant to go to Thailand but never made it as I got made redundant, so looking to make the most of this break.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A little bit of advice please

Also can I ask - how did you get it to 1/2 tank of petrol to come back empty from economycarhire? My online quotation came up as full, return empty.

Paphos
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A little bit of advice please

I'd strongly avoid pre-booking a car at the airport. All the major companies load the price up when you arrive - they know you've been on a plane for five hours and will put up wih just about anything.

Check out cyprusandmore.com/2008/… - written a while ago in 2008 but perhaps even more true now.

Almost all the car rental companies in Paphos will be delighted to drop a car for you at the airport - and that way you avoid getting ripped off in the terminal.

Cathie

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A little bit of advice please

Hi,

i agree with Cathie,

don't pre-book a car. you will find good deals at Paphos area.

Is one company opposite Papantonios supermarket but i forgot the name and they have good prices.