We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

Peyia
2 posts
Save Topic
Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

I have just returned from my first time in Paphos and am after some advice. My friend had been before and said things were exactly the same as in Britain. Unfortunately, he didn't know the alcohol level was lower than in Britain. He got charged with drink driving (even though he would have been under in Britain) but was told he had to wait for a letter to go to court to pay a fine. He was honest, and told them he would be leaving and could he pay before but was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a "If you are not here, it doesn't matter!" How does he go about paying the fine, without being arrested on his return, as he tried everything to sort it. he even went into another police station but was told the same thing. No-one seems bothered but he is and would like to pay his dues. Also, he never drank and drove again!

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

all fines can now be paid on-line, not sure of the web address but it should be somewhere on the Cyprus government website. If not there was an article on it in the Cyprus weekly a few weeks back so you may be able to find it on their site incyprus.com

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Torpoint, United...
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

Hi,the Cyprusmail may have some info

Julie

Edited: 27 January 2011, 00:02
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

Hi traffic fines can be paid online by visiting the following website: https://www.jccsmart.com/index.aspx?ci=en-GB this is the credit card handling company in Cyprus. Your friend will need to create a login user name and password which will be activated via an e-mail to his account and he should then be able to pay it.

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

I understand that drink driving offences are not covered by the fixed penalty system as for speeding etc. For the speeding you get a ticket that is produced by the hand held computer which you then can pay on-line etc. but not to the police who have stopped you. For a higher level of alcohol you could have been detained and put before the next available court.

I suppose all you can do is wait and see if a letter arrives, somewhere on this site police.gov.cy/police/… you can apparently pay a fine by internet, parts of it are available in English.

Paphos, Cyprus
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

Checked with a recently fined mate, the drink-drive process is a) you are stopped tested ; b) you are charged ; c) you are delivered a court summons by a bailiff ; d) you either decide to accept the fine or let it go to trial/hearing to argue (if the former you casually attend court at your convenience at sign the back of the form from the bailiff that you accept charge) ; e) the result is a judge decides what the fine and punishment is ; f) request for fine payment sent by post; g) you casually at your convenience pay fine at the court.

Now if they don't have somewhere to manually deliver a summons then i have no idea how this process continues, the police do their job by charging you, the rest is up to the court system.

Your friend would be well advised to keep notes of efforts made to resolve the situation ... just in case it is remembered if/when they return in the future.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

I think PaphosEating is right if there is no-where they can manually deliver the court summons there is no way your friend will have to pay. I appreciate though he is a law-abiding citizen and wants to pay his dues but if he doesn't receive any paper from the court there is not much he can do. Still worth while though keeping any correspondence that show he has tried to pay, just in case he comes back! Or if you are living over here you could try going to the local police station and see what they have to say

Peyia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

Thanks all! Still trying to sort it but thanks for all your advice.

8. Re: Lax Drink Driving Laws in Paphos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 21:17