We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paphos panic

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Paphos panic

I have booked a family holiday self catering to Kato Paphos for 2 weeks close to the beach but didn't realise lots of beaches are not sandy and it might be difficult for children to paddle because of the rocks. Now panic has set in and I don't know if I should visit the East instead. We are hiring a car so can drive to decent beaches if we know where to find them. I know we will be about 15 mins away from Coral Beach but surely everyone will be there. I liked the look of Paphos as there seemed more to do. Does anyone know what Cyking Village is like? Should I stop panicking? I don't want to lie on beach all day every day but would like a really nice one close.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Scotland
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paphos panic

I'm not 100% sure but I think CyKing is just off Tomb of the Kings road.I think your closest beach will be at the Kefalos Beach hotel which will be fine for kids.The best beach in my opinion is at the Corallia hotel which is further on from Coral Bay,as far out of the resort as you can go.You can't miss the hotel,there is a large car park next to it where the local buses turn.Calm shallow water and nowhere near as busy as Coral Bay.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paphos panic

Hi,not sure where Cyking Village is but do know where the Kefalos Beach hotel is and the beach infront of the hotel isn't that good for children to paddle in but further along towards the harbour there is a better beach but small. The one at Corallia is lovely, better than Coral bay,not so busy,prettier, cheaper sunbeds and free showers. We use the bus and stay on the bus untill we get to the terminus.The tombs of the Kings road has a great choice of restaurants and the coastal path is very nice to walk into Paphos, I'm sure you will be o.k Barbara

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Paphos panic

Don't Panic !!!

Coral Bay has a lovely beach with two bays, use the furthest away as it is quieter.

All the Hotels along the coast have safe calm areas to use.

We have driven to St George's Hotel where there is imported shale.

The beaches may not be idylic, I have never been to the eastern side of the island, but the Med is calm with no significant tide or currents to worry about.

Don't Panic, I am sure you will have a great time, you just may need to experiment with the beaches to find the one that suits you!!!

Good luck

Stewart

lancashire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paphos panic

Hi, we are staying at the Cyking Village in August with our two children. It is our first time to Paphos and I too am having similar concerns about the whether the local beaches are suitable for young children. What month are you due to travel? Also does anybody know if there are any bars/restaurants which have entertainment/music/dancing suitable for kiddies. We would normally book a package holiday with kids clubs etc!

Thanks

Scotland
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paphos panic

Stewart,I'm sure you will have been to Faros Beach.The sea here can get extremely rough at times,hence the need for a flag system and life guards.If it gets too rough they won't allow you into the water at all until it calms down.I've been in up to my waist and been knocked off my feet by a wave and I'm sure some tourists have died here in the past.

Good facilities here though,new toilets and an excellent cafe .

Scotland
Level Contributor
588 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paphos panic

After doing a bit of research it appears that the tourists were drowned just a bit further up the coast at the Venus Beach hotel area,not at Faros Beach.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paphos panic

Thank you everyone for the advice. Will definately check out the tips. I am looking forward to it now. Might do a day trip to Fig Tree Bay on the other side to see what it's like there. I am going in August too Dorotheabonjo . My guess is that it must be quite nice in Paphos as so many Brits have bought places there. I think we may have to explore a bit to find the best uncrowded bit of beach but I am not expected Carribean type beach so don't think I will be disappointed. Thank you everyone for reassurance as I was driving my family and colleagues crazy.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paphos panic

When you see first see Fig Tree Bay like i did 12 years ago i would rather go there than the caribeean and ive been a few times mexico etc, macaronnosis just up from Nissi is superb as well

Glasgow
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paphos panic

I just returned from Paphos last night and have been going there for 24 years and have visited many beaches in the area. The only word of advise I have would be to be carefull on the beaches and take heed of the flag system in use. I have heard of at least 5 or 6 drownings and read only last week in the local paper of a Russian man who was visiting Paphos for a medical conference and he went swimming on his own and unfortunately drowned. Please don't let my comments put you off visiting the beach, this is not my intention. My daughter, who is now 16, has been going to Paphos all her life, and has spent may fun filled hours on the beach and in the sea. The beach we found most suitable for us and her when she was younger was the Tourist Beach at Yeriskipou which is at the eastern end of Paphos. If you are staying near the Kefalos beach it's about a 10 minute drive away, nearer than Coral bay and Corallia. The beach itself is man-made but there is a breakwater so you can go in quite far before it gets deep. Sometimes there can be a bit of seaweed on the shoreline but this is the same for Faros beach also. What we liked about the tourist beach is the fact there are large grassy areas where you can hire sunbeds/umbrellas or just sit on your own towels. There's also toilet facilities, coin-operted showers, beach bar and restaurant and on the other side of the car park are kiddies rides and a small playpark. We went along last week and the grass area was looking well maintained and the sprinklers were on so I guess they are just opening up for the season. As others have said Coral Bay and Corallia are also nice beaches. Hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paphos panic

Thank you for your advice. I will watch out for the flags.